Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dkeyes on August 30, 2007, 02:10:41 am

Title: APS
Post by: dkeyes on August 30, 2007, 02:10:41 am
I've been using APS for awhile now but can't seem to figure what "profile version 2" and "profile version 4" is/or does. A pulldown menu shows up in OSX [attachment=3106:attachment] with the choice to select either of these. I haven't seen documentation anywhere that talks about this. Does anyone know what this is?
- Doug
Title: APS
Post by: rdonson on August 31, 2007, 10:43:40 pm
Interesting, Doug.  I'm away from the home base and can't check mine to see if I have the same option.  What version of APS are you running?  1.3?  I'll leave it to one of our CM gurus to comment on what version 2 and version 4 might mean.
Title: APS
Post by: neil snape on September 01, 2007, 03:19:52 am
Yes there are options, and V2.1 or V4 are useful for using profiles in different applications. Adobe products all can use V4 profiles these days but some older apps may choke if you use a V4 when the app accepts only V2.
There are some string changes between the 2, some requirements for tag tables, header lengths, transform instructions etc. If you have up to date software everywhere V4 is better.
Title: APS
Post by: dkeyes on September 02, 2007, 04:25:45 pm
Thanks Neil,
I've been using V4 assuming the later number would be better as with most applications. Too bad HP doesn't give any info about this. It's amazing how little documentation the APS has for an $800 product.
- Doug
Title: APS
Post by: dkeyes on September 02, 2007, 04:26:31 pm
Quote
Interesting, Doug.  I'm away from the home base and can't check mine to see if I have the same option.  What version of APS are you running?  1.3?  I'll leave it to one of our CM gurus to comment on what version 2 and version 4 might mean.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136684\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Using version 1.3
Title: APS
Post by: rdonson on September 02, 2007, 04:40:55 pm
Quote
Using version 1.3
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=136925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks, Doug.  That's the version I'm using as well.
Title: APS
Post by: Mussi_Spectraflow on September 04, 2007, 04:44:18 pm
V4 comes with more specified standards. With V2 building the perceptual rendering intent table was a bit more open ended, also there could also be some differences depending on what CMM was used. All this means is that in general when building profiles with two different profiling packages there MAY be less variables in play. Not really an issue for most people, esp. if your only using one profiling software. V2 is still a bit more universal at this point, but if V4 profiles work in all you applications then by all means go for it.

Julian Mussi

www.spectraflow.com
Color Workflow Solutions