Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: phildog33 on August 22, 2007, 01:57:45 pm
-
I have been printing with the B9180 and love the output when it works right... On Hahn. Photo Rag with custom profile it is spot on, perfect. Love it.
When it doesnt work right, i am getting star wheel marks on my prints, very shifty colors on Silver Rag and Luster papers and bronzing in the black areas as well.
For someone who is like me.. owning the B9180 and considering upgrade to the Z3100... how big a difference is the quality, same print 13x19 matte/rag or luster/silverrag type paper??? The inks are the same, the heads are the same?? is it just a few more inks and the Glop?
Thank you for your replies.. im considering upgrading, but unsure if i will see a WOW factor difference or just a little better gradients.
Phillip
-
I have been printing with the B9180 and love the output when it works right... On Hahn. Photo Rag with custom profile it is spot on, perfect. Love it.
When it doesnt work right, i am getting star wheel marks on my prints, very shifty colors on Silver Rag and Luster papers and bronzing in the black areas as well.
For someone who is like me.. owning the B9180 and considering upgrade to the Z3100... how big a difference is the quality, same print 13x19 matte/rag or luster/silverrag type paper??? The inks are the same, the heads are the same?? is it just a few more inks and the Glop?
Thank you for your replies.. im considering upgrading, but unsure if i will see a WOW factor difference or just a little better gradients.
Phillip
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I share your interest Phillip. I also own the B9180 which is really a stop gap before I add a large format. (I sold my Epson 4000 months ago and have been waiting for its replacement in a 24 inch model). The B9180 is very good on HPR. On H FA Pearl, saturation is good but bronzing and gloss differential amongst the worst I've ever seen. Now I could just be lacking an appropriate profile as I'm using the one from the Hahn site. If this is the best, then I am curious about the results on the 3100. However, one cannot ignore the fact that there is a spec in the 3100 and the gloss enhancer may very well remedy the situation on FA Pearl.
Carl
-
I share your interest Phillip. I also own the B9180 which is really a stop gap before I add a large format. (I sold my Epson 4000 months ago and have been waiting for its replacement in a 24 inch model). The B9180 is very good on HPR. On H FA Pearl, saturation is good but bronzing and gloss differential amongst the worst I've ever seen. Now I could just be lacking an appropriate profile as I'm using the one from the Hahn site. If this is the best, then I am curious about the results on the 3100. However, one cannot ignore the fact that there is a spec in the 3100 and the gloss enhancer may very well remedy the situation on FA Pearl.
Carl
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=135173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know Hahnemuhle reformulated the FA Pearl and hopefully it made a difference. The early samples didn't work with the Z printers. I prefer Innova and their papers work pretty well, but the star wheels can still be a problem.
I see the 9180 as a complement to the Z, and sometimes the 9180 being better. For sheet fed fine art matte at 13x19 the 9180 is simply better.
Many times I have said that Gloss Enhancer is the greatest thing on the Z printer.I use it for all shiny surfaces including Pearl types. When I forget it is a shocking difference.