Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Rhossydd on August 19, 2007, 11:18:40 am
-
I’m just starting to get together a specification for a new PC to run Lightroom( and PS CS3 etc) on Windows XP Pro.
Can anyone recommend a great graphics card to use ?
In the past I’ve used Matrox cards, but from what I’ve read there are now other cards that will out perform them, although gaming performance isn’t an issue at all.
It needs to be PCI-express and have dual DVI outputs and support a combined minimum desktop size of 2560 x 1024.
Driver stability is crucial. Video overlay on both outputs is important too.
It would be nice to be fanless to keep noise levels down and dual LUTs for each output would be a nice touch if such cards are now available.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
-
Has no one any suggestions or experience on this then ?
-
Has no one any suggestions or experience on this then ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Get the beat you can afford with the most MB's. AGP is out dated is what I have and thr speed is OK.I avoid clones fot ht most part part becuase they " add" in things to sepoerate themselves, I use ony what has drivers waiting on my OS to install,
Too many choices , so little $$$
Good luck!
___
James
-
I'd stick to the Matrox cards. They have proven to be reliable performers for me for the past 10 years.
-
Virtually any quality graphics card will work for Lightroom, since it's a 2-D app, and by comparison, less demanding. For the resolution you want, you need a card with a minimum of 256MB, but preferably 512MB. You don't say whether you will run a dual monitor setup (which I use) or a single large, like a 30" Apple or the like. With dual monitors, you really should use two cards, not one with two ports. At the moment, I use two older 128MB xFX cards to run a 24" and a 20" monitor, without problems, though occasionally the refresh is slow because of the limited RAM.
-
I'd stick to the Matrox cards. They have proven to be reliable performers for me for the past 10 years.
I've generally been satisfied with Matrox cards myself too, but they do have issues with GMB's i1 Share program which is rather annoying.
Looking in greater detail the current P650 PCI-e 128mb card looks to have enough built in to do the job. It also seems to have dual LUTs for each output which would be a major bonus if XP can see them.
I guess I'll have to mail Matrox about that.
-
For the resolution you want, you need a card with a minimum of 256MB, but preferably 512MB.
At the moment, I use two older 128MB xFX cards to run a 24" and a 20" monitor, without problems, though occasionally the refresh is slow because of the limited RAM.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=134795\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think it would be good if you could explain how you calculated the 256MB min graphics requirement.
A clearer definition of 'refresh' and how limited RAM causes this would also not go amiss.
Cheers
G.