Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cruikshank on August 14, 2007, 06:33:28 am
-
Hi, I'm new to the group. I had a portrait studio for 15 years w/ my
Wife. We had to close due to my 4 back surgeries. I now shoot for
myself when I'm able. I concentrate on preserving what's left of coal
mines and RR in my hometown area. That is the Anthracite region of
Central PA.
I was blown away by the HP Pro B-9180 at last years Photo Pro East in
NYC. What I like was the user replaceable heads, the built in
calibrator, and it seemed well built, Less Clogging of heads. Plus
the quality of the sample prints I saw it make especially in B&W was
great.
As I search the Web and my collection of Photo Magazines for reviews,
they all seemed to say it's nice but... and Then lean heavy on the
Epson either the R-1800, or 2400 as their reccomendation. The
drawbacks mentioned are lack of compatibility w/ 3rd party paper, and
trouble with profiles.
I ordered my HP the other day to get it at the price of $320 before
that ended. I had budgeted around $5-600 for a printer. I plan on not
opening the HP until I decide, then I could sell for a profit on E-bay
or return it to staples, and get an Epson if pursuaded to do that.
So have you been happy with your Pro B purchase? Do you feel like a
lone wolf in an All Epson, All the time world?
Are there continous flow and or cartridge refills for the Pro B?
I plan to print mostly B&W, some toned, and occasional color,
hopefully on Matt or Art/Rag type paper. Please let me hear your
experiences with your HP printer. Thanks, Dave
-
Dave, I've been delighted with mine. I had previously used the HP 8750 but changed to the pigment inks on the B9180. I , too think that Epson missed a trick with continuing with having to change between matt/photo black and HP and Canon has exploited this "weakness". Judged on the results and ease of use, I'm delighted !
and thats all that matters.
Hi, I'm new to the group. I had a portrait studio for 15 years w/ my
Wife. We had to close due to my 4 back surgeries. I now shoot for
myself when I'm able. I concentrate on preserving what's left of coal
mines and RR in my hometown area. That is the Anthracite region of
Central PA.
I was blown away by the HP Pro B-9180 at last years Photo Pro East in
NYC. What I like was the user replaceable heads, the built in
calibrator, and it seemed well built, Less Clogging of heads. Plus
the quality of the sample prints I saw it make especially in B&W was
great.
As I search the Web and my collection of Photo Magazines for reviews,
they all seemed to say it's nice but... and Then lean heavy on the
Epson either the R-1800, or 2400 as their reccomendation. The
drawbacks mentioned are lack of compatibility w/ 3rd party paper, and
trouble with profiles.
I ordered my HP the other day to get it at the price of $320 before
that ended. I had budgeted around $5-600 for a printer. I plan on not
opening the HP until I decide, then I could sell for a profit on E-bay
or return it to staples, and get an Epson if pursuaded to do that.
So have you been happy with your Pro B purchase? Do you feel like a
lone wolf in an All Epson, All the time world?
Are there continous flow and or cartridge refills for the Pro B?
I plan to print mostly B&W, some toned, and occasional color,
hopefully on Matt or Art/Rag type paper. Please let me hear your
experiences with your HP printer. Thanks, Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=133151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Dave -- I too am pleased with the 9180 and have received very nice results. My biggest complaint to date is that I would prefer to use Ilford Smooth Pearl paper and the Vivera inks are just not compatible with this paper. In my mind, the printer does a fantastic job as long as you stick to the HP papers...that said, this may also be the case with Espons and I would appreciate hearing others thoughts on this...
A question you may want to ask yourself is do the HP papers meet your needs?? If so, you will be very pleased...if not, then you may want to either make a change or invest in a few custom profiles to get the best possible results. Hope that this helps...best regards -- Bishop
Added comment -- I will say that as far as Matte papers go that I have had good results with Moab Entrada and excellent results on the HP Hahnemule Smooth Fine Art paper.
-
The ilford papers were a known problem with this printer. (Well, known shortly after people tried to use them with it.)
I've had great luck with inkjet art, epson papers, hp papers, hahnemuhle and about 1/2 of the red river papers.
(I've some crane museo that I still haven't opened. I blew enough on that box of paper that I just do not want to know if it will work or not. If I don't try it I don't know that I have to give it away to an epson using friend.)
One thing I find funny. During a massive electrical storm this week I didn't turn off my computer. I didn't turn off my TV. I didn't JUST turn off my b9180 I also unplugged it. Should give an indication what I think of it.