Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: muv on August 10, 2007, 06:06:21 pm
-
I want to have high quality drum scans made from 35 mm negs and chromes. I've benn talking to Color Folio and West Coast Imaging. Does anyone have experience with these companies, or maybe a third studio that you've used? Thanks for your replies.
-
I have never been dissatisfied with the service from NancyScans (http://www.nancyscans.com/). There's something about their Heidelberg Tango scans that beats many other drum scan samples. Their customer service has always been 4-star for me.
-
I have never been dissatisfied with the service from NancyScans (http://www.nancyscans.com/).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree. I was a drum scanner operator in the mid 90s and am very picky about scanning. I have compared scans from the same original from a variety of desktop scanners and scanning services and Nancy Scans is constantly at the top. They are one of the few places that has maintained not only the equipment but the color expertise and oversight needed for a 1st class operation.
-
Nancyscans on the east cost yes, on the west, Bauhaus (in LA).
-
I agree. I was a drum scanner operator in the mid 90s and am very picky about scanning. I have compared scans from the same original from a variety of desktop scanners and scanning services and Nancy Scans is constantly at the top. They are one of the few places that has maintained not only the equipment but the color expertise and oversight needed for a 1st class operation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132654\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately Nancy is on vacation for 2 weeks and already loaded up with work when she returns. Too late for me and too bad, as I'm a 2 hour drive from her studio. I'll check into Bauhaus.
-
Nancyscans on the east cost yes, on the west, Bauhaus (in LA).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132663\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Andrew,
Do you have the link to Bauhaus in LA?
Cheers
Kika
-
Andrew,
Do you have the link to Bauhaus in LA?
Cheers
Kika
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=132668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I spelled it incorrectly (its bowhaus)
Charles James
Bow Haus
7210 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Work: (323) 937-8400
[email protected]
-
I spelled it incorrectly (its bowhaus)
Charles James
Bow Haus
7210 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Work: (323) 937-8400
[email protected]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=132670\")
!!!Much appreciated!!!
Is this the one?
[a href=\"http://www.bowhaus.com/contact/contact.htm]BowHaus[/url]
BowHaus, Inc.
8885 Venice Boulevard
Suite 103
Los Angeles, CA 90034
Main Phone: 310-837-1200
Fax Number: 310-837-1213
Cheers
Kika
-
They must have moved but yes, should be them. Ask for Charles.
-
Here is another well known drum scanner for photogs.
http://www.dannyburk.com/drum_scanning.htm (http://www.dannyburk.com/drum_scanning.htm)
-
On the East Coast try:
4 Sight Color Technologies
27 Newtown Rd.
Plainview, NY 11803
www.4sightcolor.com
516-777-7400
-
For low volume (which is what I assume you want), I'd recommend Calypso Imaging in Santa Cruz http://www.calypsoinc.com/ (http://www.calypsoinc.com/)
They work with a lot of landscape photographers, deliver clean scans on FTP in 48 hours, and do not charge extra for 16 bit.
-
Does anyone know of a service in Vancouver Canada? I hate the thought of entrusting my best Kodachromes to FedEx, DHL or whomever.
-
Finally found a lab that does drum scanning up here. They charge (are you ready for this?):
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']$105[/span] per 35mm Kodachrome slide
And this is only at 2400 dpi!!! They told me that anything above 2400 dpi yields no improvement!
Oh well, everything else in Vancouver costs 2-10x what you'd pay in the U.S., so why should this be any different?
-
Well, I charge a hundred dollars to scan a 35mm slide, but you can have any res up to 8000. Kodachrome is a bit harder to scan, but only because of how the scanner sees the base density. You have to be aware of it and make a slight adjustment for the elevated blue level. If it's a sharp image, resolutions all the way to 8000 ppi can be beneficial scanning Ektachrome, Velvia, Provia, Kodachrome or T-Max. Look for someone with a drum scanner that has a 3 micron minimum aperture for the highest true resolution.