Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on August 05, 2007, 09:41:29 am
-
Dear all,
I have been using LR 1.1 for sometime on my Mac Pro (8 cores, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.4.9) and was happy with the peformance until today...
No idea what is causing this, but the performance is now plain awful for most of the operations:
- the computing of the preview in Library mode takes forever,
- scrolling is very slow too,
- clicking on any of the control in develop diaplays the OS turning wheel and it takes a few seconds for the control to act,
- zooming on images is very slow and they sometimes never get fully focused.
I have tried:
1. to re-built the catalog,
2. to re-install LR 1.1.
Hardly any improvement.
More information:
- The library is stored locally and is fairly small (1200 images),
- I have re-booted but didn't see any improvement,
- I have not added any new hardware recently,
- I have not added any significant new softare recently either,
- Brdge and PS CS3 Extended are as fast as they used to be,
- The activity monitor shows very low CPU and disk usage.
This situation is driving me crazy and any help would be most welcome. I even wouldn't mind getting rid of my current library if I were sure that it would solve the issue, but don't know where it is stored.
Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Bernard
-
Solution found...
I had activated the Catalog option "automatically write changes to XMP". This known issue is actually listed in the read me file of LR 1.1, but the impact on performance is really huge... making the application totally unusable.
Regards,
Bernard
-
Dear all,
I have been using LR 1.1 for sometime on my Mac Pro (8 cores, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.4.9) and was happy with the peformance until today...
No idea what is causing this, but the performance is now plain awful for most of the operations:
- the computing of the preview in Library mode takes forever,
- scrolling is very slow too,
- clicking on any of the control in develop diaplays the OS turning wheel and it takes a few seconds for the control to act,
- zooming on images is very slow and they sometimes never get fully focused.
I have tried:
1. to re-built the catalog,
2. to re-install LR 1.1.
Hardly any improvement.
More information:
- The library is stored locally and is fairly small (1200 images),
- I have re-booted but didn't see any improvement,
- I have not added any new hardware recently,
- I have not added any significant new softare recently either,
- Brdge and PS CS3 Extended are as fast as they used to be,
- The activity monitor shows very low CPU and disk usage.
This situation is driving me crazy and any help would be most welcome. I even wouldn't mind getting rid of my current library if I were sure that it would solve the issue, but don't know where it is stored.
Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bernard,
How about creating a new Library/Catalog to see if things improve? Once created, start to fill it with a few hundreds of images.
To locate your current library/catalog, hold down the command key (Apple key) and click & hold on the title of your Lightroom window, this should show you the path of the ".lrcat" file.
-
Solution found...
I had activated the Catalog option "automatically write changes to XMP". This known issue is actually listed in the read me file of LR 1.1, but the impact on performance is really huge... making the application totally unusable.
Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131595\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I never tried to enable this option...
Have a good day!
-
I had activated the Catalog option "automatically write changes to XMP". This known issue is actually listed in the read me file of LR 1.1, but the impact on performance is really huge... making the application totally unusable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131595\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The reason it slows down after you activate it in this circumstance, is that it starts to write XMP to ALL files. Files that have the XMP embedded need to be copied with XMP and the original deleted. Very time consuming. If you left Lightroom at it, then eventually it would return to normal, unless you change a lot of images at the same time.
If you do it in a new Catalog starting to import from scratch, it doesn't have so much of an effect.
-
The reason it slows down after you activate it in this circumstance, is that it starts to write XMP to ALL files. Files that have the XMP embedded need to be copied with XMP and the original deleted. Very time consuming. If you left Lightroom at it, then eventually it would return to normal, unless you change a lot of images at the same time.
If you do it in a new Catalog starting to import from scratch, it doesn't have so much of an effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sean,
Thanks for the info.
-
Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
i have had this problem last week...re-imported the files into a new gallery....all good....
i always have the "always write xmp..." box checked, does not slow it down for me at all....
i think adobe made some big changes with the introduction of the multiple galleries in 1.1....so 1.2 should have a better grip on things...
-
I did NOT have this option checked, and still, Lightroom periodically slows down.
-
The reason it slows down after you activate it in this circumstance, is that it starts to write XMP to ALL files. Files that have the XMP embedded need to be copied with XMP and the original deleted. Very time consuming. If you left Lightroom at it, then eventually it would return to normal, unless you change a lot of images at the same time.
If you do it in a new Catalog starting to import from scratch, it doesn't have so much of an effect.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131632\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For me, on a G5, having auto-write to XMPs on always results in a massive slowdown even after creating a new catalog. Even after it does its thing for a day or two untouched, going from image to image can take 6-7 seconds. It's even worse when I'm importing new images. Turning auto-write off has really made a big difference in speed.
-
It can't be this write to XMP feature, as I have it off, and experience the same slow loading times, especially in the develop module.