Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: pobrien3 on July 28, 2007, 05:43:58 am

Title: Import Existing Metadata
Post by: pobrien3 on July 28, 2007, 05:43:58 am
Forgive me if the question has already been asked and answered; I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Using earlier versions of Bridge, I have spent quite some time painstakingly creating metadata keywords for many thousands of images.  I am contemplating buying Lightroom 1.1 so downloaded a trial, but it isn't apparent to me how (or even IF) this existing metadata is imported.  I really don't want to go through all that again.

So how do I get my existing metadata into LR 1.1?  Suggestions gratefully received.

Peter
Title: Import Existing Metadata
Post by: Ian Lyons on July 28, 2007, 06:09:01 am
Quote
Forgive me if the question has already been asked and answered; I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Using earlier versions of Bridge, I have spent quite some time painstakingly creating metadata keywords for many thousands of images.  I am contemplating buying Lightroom 1.1 so downloaded a trial, but it isn't apparent to me how (or even IF) this existing metadata is imported.  I really don't want to go through all that again.

So how do I get my existing metadata into LR 1.1?  Suggestions gratefully received.

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightroom should import all of your metadata (adjustments, IPTC, ratings, labels, keywords, etc) along with the image. Subsequent changes to any of above can also be written back to file and read by Bridge.
Title: Import Existing Metadata
Post by: pobrien3 on July 28, 2007, 06:41:44 am
Thanks Ian, I'll experiment with a few throw-away images.  It just wasn't apparent to me that this would happen, as there is no reference to it anywhere I can see.

Peter
Title: Import Existing Metadata
Post by: pobrien3 on July 29, 2007, 03:49:43 am
That worked just fine, thanks Ian.

I have to say, I've been playing with 1.1 since yesterday and I'm really impressed with it.