Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: X-Re on July 27, 2007, 11:43:04 am

Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: X-Re on July 27, 2007, 11:43:04 am
I've got a working set of 11 images from the Upper Geyser Basin at Yellowstone. The intent of these images are to be psuedo-abstract, and show off some of the colors and textures I came across... I narrowed down to these 11, and I've hit the wall trying to cull down to a set of 4-6... Later, I may do some B&W conversions, etc, but for now I'm focusing on the color versions...

Critique, comments, or help in trimming the set down would be appreciated!!

http://www.daverephoto.com/ThermalAbstract...tes/index.ahtml (http://www.daverephoto.com/ThermalAbstractCandidates/index.ahtml)

BTW - all of these are ISO 100 images, taken with my MkIII, all processing in Lightroom, if you're interested in those sorts of details...
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: jeffball on July 27, 2007, 12:11:14 pm
Very nice Dave.  For me, #2 and #6 stand out for continued enhancement.  Good luck.
Jeff
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 27, 2007, 01:52:47 pm
Very nice work. Why do you need to cut down the number? This is a very nice set of eleven.

But if you do want to cut them down, my favorites are 2, 6, 8, and 10 (adding 8 and 10 to Jeff's list.) Next, for me, would be 1, 3, and 7.
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: iancl on July 27, 2007, 02:04:17 pm
For me in order of preference: 10, 1, 8, 2

The rest I could take or leave with 11 and 6 standing out as the best of the rest.
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: X-Re on July 27, 2007, 04:43:40 pm
Thanks, guys

Eric, I'm seeking to cut it down for a couple of reasons. First, I have a ton of images from Yellowstone, and this is a small part of it. If I can select a stronger, more evocative set from what I've got, it will (hopefully) have more to say.

And, sometimes I'm not the best judge of my work, yet, when it comes to making the final cuts... and it helps me to get some opinion from folks who aren't as close to the work to see the path to take with it

Dave
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 27, 2007, 09:14:53 pm
Those are good enough reasons. I hope you'll show us some of your other Yellowstone pix too.
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: X-Re on July 27, 2007, 10:27:42 pm
Quote
I hope you'll show us some of your other Yellowstone pix too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

     Would love to, and will when I have time to get them up  Soon... I had to pound out all the "snapshots" first, to keep my prettier half happy, so I'm just getting to the "good stuff" now...  
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: larkvi on July 27, 2007, 11:05:58 pm
I favour the same ones as iancl, but with no real thoughts about order.

-Sean [www.larkvi.com]
Title: Abstracts from Yellowstone
Post by: wynpotter on July 29, 2007, 01:01:56 pm
1,8,9,10 seem to me more abstract and intense. Others seem to define a segment of a place rather than an abstract. Wyndham