Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Don Libby on July 25, 2007, 04:10:48 pm
-
I posted this over at digital processing but on second thought think I might get better results here:
Having just received the P30+ I find that while I really love the back, I can't process my files in CS3 as the camera is not yet supported in Camera Raw. Coupled with this is the fact that my main computer is running Windows XP 64 and C1 does not support Win 64. I loaded C1 Pro on the computer and every time I start the program it shuts down due to some fatal error (I can well understand since it doesn't like Win 64). I just loaded C1 Digital Back and it would appear at first blush to be working.....
My current work around is to open my files on my laptop, save them then load them onto my working computer. This will hold me I guess until Adobe come up with their next update which they have assured me will contain P30+ backs. I guess my question here is can you think of a better way?
Thanks in advance
don
-
film?
(I shouldn't have said that but I couldn't resist )
-
film?
(I shouldn't have said that but I couldn't resist )
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129892\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Something very strange has happened - I picked up my new P30+ today (hooray!) and suddenly I find that LR 1.1 and PS CS3 (CR4.1) can process the raw files! When I hired a P30+ a month ago, LR could only see the thumbnails. Not sure what's changed.
-
Is your back set to Capture full size raw or IIQ large or IIQ small. I know when adobe first started supporting Phase raw files they did not work with the IIQ right away.
Something very strange has happened - I picked up my new P30+ today (hooray!) and suddenly I find that LR 1.1 and PS CS3 (CR4.1) can process the raw files! When I hired a P30+ a month ago, LR could only see the thumbnails. Not sure what's changed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Thanks for the up dates.
I had no problems working with the loaner P30 that I had while I was waiting for my P30+. I usually have the back set for IIQ large but I just attempted IIQ small just a couple minutes ago with no luck. So I guess I’ll just have to continue doing what I’m doing and waiting for Adobe to catch up.....
I was about to close this answer but decided to double check the verison of ACR - its 4.1. According to Adobe, the next version, 4.2 will have P30+.
don
-
How is that possible? Have you updated LR or PS CS3 recently? I'm eagerly waiting to be able to use these to process my P30+ files.
Something very strange has happened - I picked up my new P30+ today (hooray!) and suddenly I find that LR 1.1 and PS CS3 (CR4.1) can process the raw files! When I hired a P30+ a month ago, LR could only see the thumbnails. Not sure what's changed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130042\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
And here I was sitting fat dumb and happy last week shooting with the loaner P30 and waiting for the day to come that I’d get the call about my Plus. That day came, the P30+ arrived and I was very happy. Don’t get me wrong, I remain very happy with the back, I just was in the dark regarding the change in my workflow that I’d have to put up with.
I had loaded C1 Pro on my travel laptop (Dell XPS M1210 4GB RAM Windows XP Pro) when I first got the loaner knowing that it was unsupported on my big working computer (Dell Precision 690 8GB Ram Windows XP 64). I figured I’d give C1 a test spin to see if I’d like it. Since I shoot landscape and nature images I don’t go in for a lot of batch processing and like my workflow simple, (Bridge, ACR, then CS3) but I looked at C1 if not for the simple reason is that it was part of the deal. I tried it and found that it did nothing for me but maybe add an extra step in my workflow that I neither wanted nor needed. All this changed last week. I thought I had done something wrong. I immediately placed the blame on my IT guy (ME!) only to find that not all the Plus backs are currently being supported by Adobe. Thanks to researching and reading various threads on this site and Adobe I found that I wasn’t the blame.
In the grand scheme of things this is just a very minor setback for me. I can still capture images that just knock my socks off – I just have to change my workflow for a little while. I wrote Adobe about the problem and they have responded saying the P30+ will be supported in ACR 4.2 and as hard as I tried Adobe doesn’t give hints as to their release dates. For now, I’m using C1 Pro and find that while it may not have everything I’ve learned to love in ACR it still is a very good program.
Compared to my history with Windows XP 64 this is very very minor, at least I know that I’ll have my normal workflow back within the next couple months. I’ve had XP 64 now for well over a year and find I’m still fighting every once in a while with an errant driver.
Who every hears first about ACR 4.2 should shout it here for the rest of us. Till then ….
don
-
Don,
Give Tim (Palmer) or I call and we can walk you through some of your settings that you'll
need to set for your new P+ back. One thing to check. Did you do a clean install when you
installed 3.7.7?
Tim Palmer (770)597-1098 [email protected]
Chris Lawery (404)234-5195 [email protected]
Thanks,
Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
-
I actually discoverd this with the P25+. Were you shooting tethered by any chance? I started a thread over on the Adobe LR group here:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc478d2 (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc478d2)
In short, if you're shooting tethered, LR recognizes and works fine with the + files. If your shooting to the CF, it doesn't work with the + files. I have no idea why.
Jeff
How is that possible? Have you updated LR or PS CS3 recently? I'm eagerly waiting to be able to use these to process my P30+ files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130057\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Good call - yes I was shooting tethered, CR sees the files as a P30. Couldn't work out the difference, but that's it.
Steve.
I actually discoverd this with the P25+. Were you shooting tethered by any chance? I started a thread over on the Adobe LR group here:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc478d2 (http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc478d2)
In short, if you're shooting tethered, LR recognizes and works fine with the + files. If your shooting to the CF, it doesn't work with the + files. I have no idea why.
Jeff
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130083\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
Okay - after a long talk with Chris and others it appears that I'm now in a waiting game. I'm waiting for C1 4.0 to be released so that I can have it on my larger computer running Win 64. I'm also waiting for Adobe to update Camera Raw to 4.2 so that my P30+ is supported. My bet is that Adobe will come through first as the last update was released around the end of May.
So until then I'll continue doing what I'm doing. I'm off to Lake Powell and a rented power boat to try to get some good images up there. Who knows maybe some lightening......
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
don