Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: vgogolak on July 23, 2007, 04:36:51 pm

Title: Can you guess the lens
Post by: vgogolak on July 23, 2007, 04:36:51 pm
Here in an image I took with a lens that you might never think of. It was on a Contax w P45 (not mplus) and although I knew it would work was still surprised at results.

Do you have an idea what it is?

The crop is 100% actual pixels, obviously a 'long' lens.

(and yes, needed to be closed down a bit - too shallow DOF)

Victor
Title: Can you guess the lens
Post by: Harris Edelman on July 23, 2007, 05:56:53 pm
One of the 500mm Mirotars (or the equivalent Spiegelobjektive from Jena). The annular bokeh gives it away.

Rather tricky of you to say, "needed to be closed down", as catadioptric lenses lack diaphragms!


-H.
Title: Can you guess the lens
Post by: vgogolak on July 23, 2007, 05:58:18 pm
Quote
I was going to say, one of the 500mm Mirotars (or the equivalent Spiegelobjektive from Jena). The annular bokeh gives it away.

Rather tricky of you to say, "needed to be closed down", as catadioptric lenses lack diaphragms!
-H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, close on FL, but it is a real lens, with diaphram

and 30 years old

and a screw mount!

:-)
Title: Can you guess the lens
Post by: Harris Edelman on July 23, 2007, 10:04:58 pm
So it's a Leitz Telyt 560mm f/6.8.


-H.
Title: Can you guess the lens
Post by: vgogolak on July 24, 2007, 07:39:27 am
Quote
So it's a Leitz Telyt 560mm f/6.8.
-H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129634\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

actually it is the 400/5 LTM

I do not know if the regular Visoflex lenses work. The M viso mount uses up some of the flange to film disctance.

What is instructive here is that the older Visoflex Leica lenses covered the 6x6 of a medium format. I needxed to use LTM to hasselblad (from fotodiox) and hasselblad to contax 645 adapters. but any Hassey or contax (or even pentax ) would work.

These lenses have surprising resolution and nice bokeh. This old lens (from Igor!) is quite clean though the mount is a bit worn.

I know for studio work these are hardly of interest, but for wildlife they are better than many shorterer 250mm and 350mm and are faster lenses than the 500mm (either mirroe or the hasselblad f8) I have the latter and the resolution here is as good and the color better!