Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: kevs on July 21, 2007, 05:25:41 pm

Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on July 21, 2007, 05:25:41 pm
I think that the Targeted Adjustment tool most amazing feature I've yet seen in LR.
The ability to pull on someones face and then get the correct color is great.
There is no equivilant in Photoshop or ACR correct?  Will this be added there as well?
All we have now in PS really is the guessing game of color balance, or level, curves etc, right?
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Christopher on July 22, 2007, 04:12:42 pm
Quote
I think that the Targeted Adjustment tool most amazing feature I've yet seen in LR.
The ability to pull on someones face and then get the correct color is great.
There is no equivilant in Photoshop or ACR correct?  Will this be added there as well?
All we have now in PS really is the guessing game of color balance, or level, curves etc, right?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Yep I wished CS3 would have it.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on July 22, 2007, 06:28:59 pm
thanks Chris for confirmation. Isn't it amazing. it's so revolutionary, yet seen such little press on it.
Just kills color balance for people
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: ErikKaffehr on July 23, 2007, 12:47:34 am
Hi!

You could check out "Color Mechanic", http://www.dl-c.com/cmtour1.html (http://www.dl-c.com/cmtour1.html).

I have actually never used it, but they had a very similar implementation in Picture Window Pro which I used a very long time. I think it should be most useful.

Best regards

Erik

Quote
Yep I wished CS3 would have it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: sergiojaenlara on July 30, 2007, 03:19:35 pm
I like TAT, overall because it doesn´t left any sign not like zonal adjustments.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Mort54 on July 31, 2007, 08:09:58 am
Quote
I think that the Targeted Adjustment tool most amazing feature I've yet seen in LR.
The ability to pull on someones face and then get the correct color is great.
There is no equivilant in Photoshop or ACR correct?  Will this be added there as well?
All we have now in PS really is the guessing game of color balance, or level, curves etc, right?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129360\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
PS, of course, has selections and masks, neither of which LR has. Many would argue (I'd be one of them) that selections and/or masks are much more powerful than targeted adjustments, although they can be harder to learn. Targeted adjustments are easy to apply, but in my opinion are quite limited compared to what you can do with selections and masks. But it can be useful in some situations.

Targeted adjustments first appeared in Nikon's NX software a couple of years ago. The NX implementation is a good bit more powerful than LRs, tho NX has it's own problems which keep me from using it.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on July 31, 2007, 12:54:13 pm
selections and masks are great, but you have to guess the color Mort. right? TA seems to find it for you and pull the sliders you need
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Mort54 on July 31, 2007, 02:18:39 pm
Quote
selections and masks are great, but you have to guess the color Mort. right? TA seems to find it for you and pull the sliders you need
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
TA finds a range of color for you, which makes things simple, but you have no control over the broadness of that range (or at least not as much control as I'd like). Also, it'll generally try to change all pixels of that color range everywhere in the image, including areas you might not want to modify. This is a fundamental weakness with the approach, I think. With selections, you can define a selection based on a color range (and that doesn't involve guesswork), and then unselect portions your don't want effected (which solves the key problem with TAs), or you can paint the change only to the areas you want to change, or you can use some other criteria for making the selection.

TAs are a convenient short cut, but they don't come close to the power available in PS using selections. Even Adobe doesn't suggest LR as a stand alone tool. They recognize that LR handles basic edits, but when the going gets tough, you really need to dive into PS. That said, however, I definitely like LR. I just don't think of it as a stand alone tool.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on July 31, 2007, 07:22:13 pm
In many cases it can be a standalone tool and will be nice when put it in CS3 as an adjustment layer.

Not all images require masks and selections, granted everything you say is true.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Christopher on August 01, 2007, 04:46:23 am
Quote
In many cases it can be a standalone tool and will be nice when put it in CS3 as an adjustment layer.

Not all images require masks and selections, granted everything you say is true.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes TAT implented in HAS with an nice adjustmanet layer, that would be NICE...
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on August 01, 2007, 01:10:21 pm
what is HAS?
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Hendrik on August 02, 2007, 01:41:04 pm
Oh yes, its a GREAT plugin and I use it very often.

Quote
Hi!

You could check out "Color Mechanic", http://www.dl-c.com/cmtour1.html (http://www.dl-c.com/cmtour1.html).

I have actually never used it, but they had a very similar implementation in Picture Window Pro which I used a very long time. I think it should be most useful.

Best regards

Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: Christopher on August 02, 2007, 02:18:26 pm
Quote
what is HAS?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hue and sat.
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: BubbaJon on August 15, 2007, 01:08:25 pm
Quote
Yes TAT implented in HAS with an nice adjustmanet layer, that would be NICE...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
TAT is wonderful and I find I use it most in HSL.  It is truly awesome to drag the luminance of a blue sky down to make the clouds pop then drag the sat up a tad to richen it up.  I played with old sunset/rise pics for a week just because it was so damned fun and easy.  TAT is seriously nice in HSL mode - there are things you can do there with a mouse drag that would take several masks and adjustment layers in PS.  I now consider LR to be my PS frontend - what surprises me is that only about 10% of my images now go to PS for further processing - and those of course are the "tricky" shots or destined to be a fine print.
Regards,
Jon
Title: Best feature in LR: Targeted Adjustment tool
Post by: kevs on August 15, 2007, 11:27:53 pm
Yes, agree, and being able to drag right within an image is something I hope Adobe does not forget to put into PS.