Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: macgyver on July 18, 2007, 01:58:57 am

Title: Anyone using Photo Mechanic?
Post by: macgyver on July 18, 2007, 01:58:57 am
Anyone here using Photo Mechanic? I've been using the demo and loving it but wanted to see what people thought before I buy it.

If I get it I'll get it and PS CS3 at the same time and be using PM in the place of bridge.
Title: Anyone using Photo Mechanic?
Post by: Morgan_Moore on July 18, 2007, 03:56:17 am
Quote
Anyone here using Photo Mechanic? I've been using the demo and loving it but wanted to see what people thought before I buy it.

If I get it I'll get it and PS CS3 at the same time and be using PM in the place of bridge.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128777\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I sort out all my commercial work using PM - I shoot RAW only (D200 nefs)

being
-select from raws
-edit selection (in PS and SAVE as somewhere else)
-caption
-rename

Bridge seems super slow in comparison

contact sheets are fast off raws too if a little clunky

THere are a couple of niggles that I have the main being the distance from the 'tick box' and the 'next image' arrow which can get a bit mouse intensitve for edits of a heap of images

also the zoom box in 'kodak photo desk' for instant sharpness checking was a winner - missing in PM

So it is good but there may be better

And a bargain too

S
Title: Anyone using Photo Mechanic?
Post by: SecondFocus on July 18, 2007, 10:17:29 am
Photo Mechanic is my secret weapon for editing and outputting jpg's for quick delivery from a large number of RAW files in the hundreds. What can be a significant amount of time in every other program to do the same thing is done in moments in Photo Mechanic. It is the standard in organizations such as Sports Illustrated.
Title: Anyone using Photo Mechanic?
Post by: Nick Rains on July 18, 2007, 11:25:07 pm
Quote
THere are a couple of niggles that I have the main being the distance from the 'tick box' and the 'next image' arrow which can get a bit mouse intensitve for edits of a heap of images

also the zoom box in 'kodak photo desk' for instant sharpness checking was a winner - missing in PM

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Assuming you are in the preview screen (double click on thumb):

Tag(tick) images with the "T" key, faster than mousing.

Use arrow key for next / previous.

"Z" key zooms to 100% for sharp check.

Using these keys you can bang through loads of images very quickly without using the mouse. There are lots of other keys to save you time - download the manual which has them all listed.
Title: Anyone using Photo Mechanic?
Post by: Morgan_Moore on July 19, 2007, 02:37:23 am
Quote
Assuming you are in the preview screen (double click on thumb):

Tag(tick) images with the "T" key, faster than mousing.

Use arrow key for next / previous.

"Z" key zooms to 100% for sharp check.

Using these keys you can bang through loads of images very quickly without using the mouse. There are lots of other keys to save you time - download the manual which has them all listed.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes that is much  much better - thanks for the tips

no more RSI for me

S