Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: abiggs on July 11, 2007, 01:52:53 pm

Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: abiggs on July 11, 2007, 01:52:53 pm
Anybody familiar with basICColor's RGB printer profiling solutions? Specifically I am looking at using an automated device like an Eye One iO with their Catch and Print applications.
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: digitaldog on July 11, 2007, 02:20:51 pm
Quote
Anybody familiar with basICColor's RGB printer profiling solutions? Specifically I am looking at using an automated device like an Eye One iO with their Catch and Print applications.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's the guy to ask:

Karl Koch <[email protected]>

Not sure if they support the i0 (which is awesome).
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: abiggs on July 11, 2007, 02:27:51 pm
Quote
Here's the guy to ask:

Karl Koch <[email protected]>

Not sure if they support the i0 (which is awesome).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Andrew. I sent him an email earlier today. Just looking for more user experiences than anything else. I am working with their software on a 14 day license, and don't see the ability to actually tweak RGB profiles, which tells me that they might have another piece of software that does this for me. I am also interested in the ability to generate/read more patches than their standard 364 target.

Andy
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: digitaldog on July 11, 2007, 02:30:11 pm
Quote
Thanks, Andrew. I sent him an email earlier today. Just looking for more user experiences than anything else. I am working with their software on a 14 day license, and don't see the ability to actually tweak RGB profiles, which tells me that they might have another piece of software that does this for me. I am also interested in the ability to generate/read more patches than their standard 364 target.

Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why would you need to tweak?

I'd want more than 364 patches, depending on the device. The GretagMacbeth (X-rite) 918 is good for most devices, I use either 2700 or 4096 on my i0 with ProfileMaker Pro.
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: abiggs on July 11, 2007, 02:32:48 pm
Quote
Why would you need to tweak?

I'd want more than 364 patches, depending on the device. The GretagMacbeth (X-rite) 918 is good for most devices, I use either 2700 or 4096 on my i0 with ProfileMaker Pro.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good question that I am note sure I have an answer for. Do you ever tweak your profiles from anything other than a straight reading of patches?
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: digitaldog on July 11, 2007, 02:35:05 pm
Quote
Good question that I am note sure I have an answer for. Do you ever tweak your profiles from anything other than a straight reading of patches?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not clear on what you mean by tweak but I'm assuming you mean profile editing. I don't it very often at all, its not easy to do, often results in a lot of wasted output and generally isn't necessary. The few times I'd think about it is when the soft proof needs a tweak (output is good, soft proof is a tad off) or when trying to do what's known as cross rendering. That's making say an Epson proof match a press sheet.
Title: Anyone familiar with basICColor printer profiling?
Post by: marcsitkin on July 12, 2007, 09:41:05 am
I've run their profiling software, and Karl is the guy to go to regarding the IO useability.

As far as I know, they never came out with profile editing software. From my own experience, I've never needed it. Like Andrew said, it's a tricky process and like to cause more problems than it solves.

Support for the basicICC software has been non-existent. I would not recommend them as a source if you are in the USA. Try CHROMIX.com to see the range of profiling solutions they offer. They are a VERY knowledgeable vendor representing multiple companies, and have been a pleasure to deal with.