Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Tom Perkins on July 02, 2007, 09:33:03 am
-
Hi, I have a question regarding the 10000 pixels per edge limit on the images that you can import into Lightroom.
Would importing larger images do anything but cause a drop in performance?
If not, why can't Lightroom just warn people first time they import a larger image so that people can't start complaining too much about performance, and allow any images to be imported?
I have Lightroom but can't use this great software to view and make minor adjustments to any of my 5x4 scans because they are too big.
If there is a better reason why large images can't be imported then I would appreciate someone explaining it to me.
Thanks,
Tom.
-
Hi, I have a question regarding the 10000 pixels per edge limit on the images that you can import into Lightroom.
Would importing larger images do anything but cause a drop in performance?
If not, why can't Lightroom just warn people first time they import a larger image so that people can't start complaining too much about performance, and allow any images to be imported?
I have Lightroom but can't use this great software to view and make minor adjustments to any of my 5x4 scans because they are too big.
If there is a better reason why large images can't be imported then I would appreciate someone explaining it to me.
Thanks,
Tom.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=126049\")
Tom,
There's some info about that limitation on the Adobe forums, you can read it [a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc4300e/2]here[/url]. From what I remember it has to do with memory management.
-
Thanks for that, I had a look but couldn't find much, something about ACR not having a virtual memory manager? Could anyone elaborate?
-
Thanks for that, I had a look but couldn't find much, something about ACR not having a virtual memory manager? Could anyone elaborate?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=126101\")
Tom,
I have no insider information on this "issue". I guess that the engineering team at Adobe must have made a choice about what memory management they could implement in Lightroom 1.0.
A limit of 10000 pixels has probably been considered as a fair limit as no digital cameras on the market today offers that kind of resolution in a single frame.
Jeff Schewe could provide more info, but it won't change the 10000 px limit in LR 1.1, unfortunately.
You can provide feedback to Adobe here: [a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform[/url]