Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: duranash on June 23, 2007, 04:26:27 pm

Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: duranash on June 23, 2007, 04:26:27 pm
I apologize for this really simple question - but - should I uninstall PS-7 before installing CS3, or install CS3 first?
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on June 23, 2007, 06:35:29 pm
You can have multiple versions of PS installed at once.  It's recommended that you install CS3 first, and leave the previous version (in your case PS 7) on your machine for awhile until you're sure that you're happy with CS3.

If I recall correctly, there was another thread here recently where someone removed their previous version in the middle of an important rush job, had some problems with bugs in CS3, and was moaning a great deal about the resulting situation.  Better to keep the old version around until you're sure you don't need it.

Lisa
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: duranash on June 23, 2007, 07:08:49 pm
Makes sense - I'll do it that way!
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: Geoff Wittig on June 24, 2007, 03:07:52 pm
The best reason I have found for keeping older versions of Photoshop installed is that it's much easier to fetch your favorite customized actions and duotones from them for the new version than generating them again from scratch after you've removed the entire application.
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: francois on June 25, 2007, 03:02:11 am
Quote
I apologize for this really simple question - but - should I uninstall PS-7 before installing CS3, or install CS3 first?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have all the versions back to PS 7 on my Mac. The only one you absolutely need to remove is CS3 Beta.
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: brconflict on June 25, 2007, 01:55:10 pm
I'd check the readme info for CS-3 first.  I do know that if you had the Trial version of CS3 installed, Adobe forces you to un-install it first, as they don't seem to have a way of successfully installing the full version on top of it.  Otherwise, the new version should give you an error if it won't work.

in my opinion, once you get used to CS3, unless your machine is over 2yrs old, and under-powered, CS3 will keep you from going back to PS7.

Good luck!
Title: CS3 Installation
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on June 25, 2007, 10:40:40 pm
Quote
in my opinion, once you get used to CS3, unless your machine is over 2yrs old, and under-powered, CS3 will keep you from going back to PS7.

Actually, I have both CS2 & CS3 on my PC, and am still using CS2 whenever possible because Bridge usually refuses to open under CS3 for me - I get an incomprehensible programmer-eese error message window when I try to open it.  Rebooting usually fixes it for a short time, but pretty soon it's back again, and I'm getting tired of constantly rebooting, so I've given up and gone back to CS2.  I'm hoping some future update will fix it...

Lisa