Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Don Libby on June 20, 2007, 08:21:06 pm

Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Don Libby on June 20, 2007, 08:21:06 pm
Hi all - if there is one item I don't like about my new Phase One P30 is the plastic sheet the goes over the Mamiya's focusing screen.  I've been think about various ways to solve this problem of mine - I just don't like the idea of the sandwich effect that this provides and in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?

Thanks in advance

don
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Camdavidson on June 20, 2007, 09:18:00 pm
Quote
Hi all - if there is one item I don't like about my new Phase One P30 is the plastic sheet the goes over the Mamiya's focusing screen.  I've been think about various ways to solve this problem of mine - I just don't like the idea of the sandwich effect that this provides and in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?

Thanks in advance

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Call Steve Hendrix in Atlanta.  He sold me an APTUS A65 screen that has the same dimensions as the P30/P21.  Bright screen with a solid line marking the coverage area of the A65 which is exactly the same as the P30.  $150 and worth every penny.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Jack Varney on June 20, 2007, 09:30:57 pm
Don did you mean under the focusing screen? The viewfinder mask is to be placed under the Mamiya focusing screen. Placing it over the screen will move the screen down slightly (i.e by the thickness of the viewfinder mask) and could affect the focal point.

Used this way should pose no problem. Nothing is sandwiched.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Don Libby on June 20, 2007, 09:31:29 pm
Quote
Call Steve Hendrix in Atlanta.  He sold me an APTUS A65 screen that has the same dimensions as the P30/P21.  Bright screen with a solid line marking the coverage area of the A65 which is exactly the same as the P30.  $150 and worth every penny.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Thanks for the heads up!
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Randal32 on June 20, 2007, 10:21:57 pm
He gave my Mamy 645 screen a hi-lux enhancement and added crop lines for the p30.  He's great, super easy to work with.  Just give him a call and let him know what your situation is.  he's a good guy.... -randal
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: AndreNapier on June 20, 2007, 10:42:47 pm
Quote
Hi all - if there is one item I don't like about my new Phase One P30 is the plastic sheet the goes over the Mamiya's focusing screen.  I've been think about various ways to solve this problem of mine - I just don't like the idea of the sandwich effect that this provides and in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?

Thanks in advance

don
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=124041\")

Bill is a great guy. Just alocate One Hour to talk to him on the phone. Great guy, wonderful product.
I have several of his screens.

[a href=\"http://AndreNapier.com/]http://AndreNapier.com/[/url]
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: pss on June 20, 2007, 11:42:38 pm
Quote
Hi all - if there is one item I don't like about my new Phase One P30 is the plastic sheet the goes over the Mamiya's focusing screen.  I've been think about various ways to solve this problem of mine - I just don't like the idea of the sandwich effect that this provides and in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?

Thanks in advance

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


let me know....i am very interested in that as well....extra brightness always helps...
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: alexjones on June 20, 2007, 11:52:52 pm
Great guy.  Great screens.  About an hour should do it.  It's worth it.

a
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: David White on June 21, 2007, 12:36:54 am
Quote
in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don,

I purchased a 4x5 screen for a view camera from him a few years ago and it was superb.  Very bright and easy to focus.  He will talk your ear off when you get him on the phone but what he has to say is worthwhile.  He came highly recommended to me at that time and I would have to pass on the same recommendation after purchasing and using one of his screens.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: nik on June 21, 2007, 02:19:45 am
Quote
Bill is a great guy. Just alocate One Hour to talk to him on the phone. Great guy, wonderful product.
I have several of his screens.

http://AndreNapier.com/ (http://AndreNapier.com/)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=124061\")


I agree, great screens and about an hr of talk-time.

-Nik


-----------------------------
[a href=\"http://www.stoqq.com]http://www.stoqq.com[/url]
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: BernardLanguillier on June 21, 2007, 04:05:17 am
I use one of his screens on my Ebony and loves it!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Tomas Johanson on June 21, 2007, 04:36:21 am
I have two new Contax MFS-2 screens, can I send them to Bill Maxwell to get them converted?
I want split image and gridlines.

Are Maxwell better than this: www.brightscreen.com ?
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Harris Edelman on June 21, 2007, 11:53:44 am
On the Contax, what's the effect of a Maxwell-modified screen upon averaged metering, which is done in the prism? (I'd expect spot metering, which is done in the body, to remain unaffected.)


-H.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: pss on June 21, 2007, 02:26:38 pm
Quote
Hi all - if there is one item I don't like about my new Phase One P30 is the plastic sheet the goes over the Mamiya's focusing screen.  I've been think about various ways to solve this problem of mine - I just don't like the idea of the sandwich effect that this provides and in doing my research I cam across Bill Maxwell's name.  I have an email out to him requesting information but I thought I'd check here as well.  Does anyone know him or of his work?

Thanks in advance

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


well thanks for pointing that out to me...just talked to bill and ordered scrrens for my RZ and 645...he promised me up to 3stops on the RZ and more then one stop on the 645...if this is half true i am a very happy camper...
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: stevecoleccs on June 21, 2007, 02:32:47 pm
He did two screens for my - Contax - P30. Perfect, cannot go wrong.
The screen is now twice as bright.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: olaf on June 21, 2007, 06:54:09 pm
Hi. I'm based in the UK and have googled Bill Maxwell but can't locate an email or phone number. Could one of you guys who has dealt with him recently please let me have his contact details? Much appreciated.

Olaf
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: Jack Varney on June 21, 2007, 08:21:33 pm
Olaf,

Try the following for Bill Maxwell -

Telephone - (404) 244-0095

email - [email protected]

Maxwell Precision Optics
P.O. 33146
Decatur, GA
30033-0146

Decatur is a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia.
Title: Bill Maxwell focusing screens
Post by: olaf on June 22, 2007, 12:47:08 pm
Thx Jack

Olaf