Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: johnchoy on June 05, 2007, 11:13:48 am

Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: johnchoy on June 05, 2007, 11:13:48 am
Just want to ask why bronzing is ( according to what i found on web) meant to be a deficiency in digital printing.
I just bought the HP Z3100 instead of the 2100 because of the bronzing issue and I 'd been using Epson 2100 before. However, as I'm testing the printing method w/ and w/o the gloss enhancer, print w/o the GE has a metallic look or in other words, I think bronzing is not bad at all, and some of my friend and I even think it is more appealing.
Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: Charles Gast on June 06, 2007, 07:59:28 am
Quote
Just want to ask why bronzing is ( according to what i found on web) meant to be a deficiency in digital printing.
I just bought the HP Z3100 instead of the 2100 because of the bronzing issue and I 'd been using Epson 2100 before. However, as I'm testing the printing method w/ and w/o the gloss enhancer, print w/o the GE has a metallic look or in other words, I think bronzing is not bad at all, and some of my friend and I even think it is more appealing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121238\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Two things are going on I think. One is that people want it to look the same from any viewing angle. I actually agree on that point.
Another is that some people are trying to get their prints to look more like wet lab prints.  I went to a fairly large art show this past weekend (summer fair in cincinnati) and I think the best thing you could do to make your inkjet prints from digital cameras look more like old fashioned wetlab prints is to slightly defocus when you shoot and instead of sharpening of any kind apply median blur to the whole thing.  
There was a distinct bias against digital imaging in the art shows judging.  Wet lab prints of so-so composition and average image quality won awards where digital images with good composition and high quality were not at all recognised  
Personally I think those film photographers were all just uppity newage technogeeks too. They used ROLL film and COLOR processing machines to create their work!  I want to see them use glass plate negative cameras and tintype cameras or nothing at all
Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: johnchoy on June 06, 2007, 01:10:25 pm
Quote
Two things are going on I think. One is that people want it to look the same from any viewing angle. I actually agree on that point.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for yr point  I haven't think of it.

It is because I always hold the print by hand and "sniff" for the details like a dog  and this remind me of an emulsion layer of kodakchrome.

Btw, I shoot and print B&W and am thinking that we can make use of the bronzing feature at an exhibition (which has deliberate/appropriate illumination )so as to make a 2D picture looks more 3D.
Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: Haraldo on June 06, 2007, 11:25:09 pm
I know digital artists who LOVE the way pigment prints bronze. But they are a different breed! ;-)

Most photographers I know (especially those doing B&W) see bronzing as a defect and want to get rid of it. But doing a body of work of "severly bronzed" B&W prints would be interesting! Especially if you could angle the lights to really emphasize it.

Harald
Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: SeanPuckett on June 07, 2007, 08:45:04 am
Print light toned B&W images on gloss media without GE, and you got bronzing baby, up the wazoo.  I think it's interesting, but I doubt my customers are excited by the art-noveau possibilities.  

On the other hand, if I create a glass topped table with a print under it, the bronzing would be easy to see and work with.  Hmm....
Title: Z3100 about bronzing
Post by: Haraldo on June 07, 2007, 10:55:45 pm
Quote
Print light toned B&W images on gloss media without GE, and you got bronzing baby, up the wazoo.  I think it's interesting, but I doubt my customers are excited by the art-noveau possibilities. 

On the other hand, if I create a glass topped table with a print under it, the bronzing would be easy to see and work with.  Hmm....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You got it Sean. Think of them as big, bronzy Daguerrotypes! Cool.

Otherwise, I suggest using the HP Gloss Enhancer. Does a pretty good job.

Harald