Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: barry685 on June 03, 2007, 06:16:39 pm

Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: barry685 on June 03, 2007, 06:16:39 pm
I have Ilford Matte canvas & Epson canvas (semi gloss). I tried to profile them with the Z3100 & am not getting good results. (I have the latest firmware) In both cases the prints are too red & oversaturated (the Epson is worse than the Ilford).

Anyone getting good results with any of these media?

Barry
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: meierm01 on June 03, 2007, 07:03:21 pm
I'm using Epson PremiumArt Water Resistant Canvas and getting excellent results.
The profile from the Z3100 alone was a bit dark, but after profiling with APS 1.2, the prints look outstanding.

mark meier
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: rdonson on June 03, 2007, 08:49:03 pm
Quote
I have Ilford Matte canvas & Epson canvas (semi gloss). I tried to profile them with the Z3100 & am not getting good results. (I have the latest firmware) In both cases the prints are too red & oversaturated (the Epson is worse than the Ilford).

Anyone getting good results with any of these media?

Barry
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=120948\")

Barry, I'm not printing on canvas yet with the Z3100 but I'm wondering if you've seen the latest [a href=\"https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/working_with_nonhp_papers_fw_5.pdf?pageseq=260246]HP Tech Newsletter[/url] on profiling non-HP media.  Perhaps it has something that will help.
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: barry685 on June 03, 2007, 09:14:05 pm
Quote
Barry, I'm not printing on canvas yet with the Z3100 but I'm wondering if you've seen the latest HP Tech Newsletter (https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/working_with_nonhp_papers_fw_5.pdf?pageseq=260246) on profiling non-HP media.  Perhaps it has something that will help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ron,
I just saw that bulletin it should help even though there is no mention of Epson paper anywhere. (You think HP has something against Epson)?  
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: Charlesu on June 04, 2007, 02:34:38 pm
Quote
Thanks Ron,
I just saw that bulletin it should help even though there is no mention of Epson paper anywhere. (You think HP has something against Epson)? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm wanting to use or at least experiment with Epson Premium Luster.  Hmmmppphhh.....
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: rdonson on June 04, 2007, 03:21:53 pm
Quote
I'm wanting to use or at least experiment with Epson Premium Luster.  Hmmmppphhh.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Charles,

I've got some sheets of Epson Premium Luster and could experiment on those if you'd rather not load a roll.  I don't know why it wouldn't work but who knows.  Other Epson papers are profiling and working for me.
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: pcox on June 04, 2007, 07:43:24 pm
I regularly use Hahnemuhle Artist Canvas - the 340gsm one. Results are fine - slightly smaller gamut than Photo Rag.

Are you sure you're selecting the proper media type for your profile?

Cheers,
Peter
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: Geoff Wittig on June 04, 2007, 08:32:23 pm
I've been printing on Epson premium luster with my Z3100, after making a profile with the built-in i-one (base model, no APS). Results are excellent, with very deep blacks and color accuracy that certainly meets my expectations. Shadows are just a little dark, which seems to be standard for the profiles my printer generates; a subtle curves adjustment and everything looks great. There is a hint of bronzing at acute reflection angles only. The paper is relatively affordable and I have a bunch of it around after using an Epson for 4 years, so unless HP's premium satin is a whole lot better I may be using it a lot. (Still waiting for HP paper from their free media deal).
Title: Z3100 with non HP canvas
Post by: barry685 on June 04, 2007, 09:53:04 pm
Quote
Barry, I'm not printing on canvas yet with the Z3100 but I'm wondering if you've seen the latest HP Tech Newsletter (https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/working_with_nonhp_papers_fw_5.pdf?pageseq=260246) on profiling non-HP media.  Perhaps it has something that will help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I downloaded the bulletins as well as the new NON HP media profile presets. They installed correctly but they do not work (the papers  can't be calibrated & profiled) I spoke with Tech Support they will get back to me tomorrow.

Barry