Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: kevs on May 12, 2007, 01:30:32 pm

Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: kevs on May 12, 2007, 01:30:32 pm
I have a folder with 100 subfolders.
In some of these subfolders are outdated keywords.
I want to erase all keywords from all folders.
Is this possible short of going through images one at a time?
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: 61Dynamic on May 12, 2007, 01:34:01 pm
Absolutely. In Grid view select the main folder containing all the other folders and hit select all (command/crtl+a). To the right you will see all the keywords in the Keywording panel. Click in that and delete.

Be prepared to wait a few minutes...
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: kevs on May 12, 2007, 05:41:35 pm
thanks 61, never seen a folder in Grid view, only images, how do you bring folders into grid view?
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: 61Dynamic on May 12, 2007, 07:33:09 pm
You don't. Just click on the folder in the folder list and all the images contained in it as well as the sub-folders will show in the grid.
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: kevs on May 12, 2007, 11:27:01 pm
thanks Daniel, and then select everything and then delete...

But some image will have a,b other c,d.

I mean, is there then some command to tell LR to wipe all keywords.
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: 61Dynamic on May 13, 2007, 12:27:00 pm
Yes, just as I just told you how. Select all of the images and then you will see all the keywords for all of those files in the right keywording panel (even if they don't all have the same keywords. Keywords that only appear in some images will have an *). Click in that area and they will all be highlighted. Hit the delete key. Hit return to set it. No more keywords for those images.
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: kevs on May 13, 2007, 04:02:38 pm
Excellent Daniel, that rocks, really blows away the workaround I did in Bridge.

But what about this:
I have a thousand images that are copied to a different folder, and these may have different keywords that I need to check, but LR does not want to import them as they are already in library.

How do I tell LR to import these so I can look at this version of them in this specific folder, but not pollute the library with lots of duplicates?
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: 61Dynamic on May 15, 2007, 01:42:44 pm
You can't that I'm aware of. Importation is the only way LR will read the files but it will notice the dupes and deny import---even with "ignore suspected duplicates" checked.

For this task you need a file browser and not a database application. Bridge (or something like it) would be the tool of choice.
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: kevs on May 15, 2007, 08:27:11 pm
So for database like LR or iview etc., if you keep multiple version of same image on different hardrives in different folders, then what?
Title: Deleting keywords in masse
Post by: 61Dynamic on May 17, 2007, 12:36:21 am
I can't speak for iView and I don't have my images spread across multiple drives so I can only speculate here. I would imagine, LR would treat any duplicates the same despite the number of drives involved.