Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Seroni on May 11, 2007, 11:02:45 pm

Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: Mike Seroni on May 11, 2007, 11:02:45 pm
I am using image print and an epson 2400 for the first time to print a new portfolio. I am also trying many papers both PK and MK papers. For PK I am trying  Pearl, Silver Rag,  and the  different Innova papers.  For MK I am trying Hahnemule Photo Rag, Moabe, Innova, Red River Premium, and PremierArt Hot Press.  
The Pk in image print looks great in the preview window and on the prints for the various papers. Very close and they all look good.  
However I was shocked when I switched to MK and the preview looked bad in the transitions and printed as bad just like the preview.  I'm not sure how to describe the look but it is very far from what the photo should look like and very far from the PK versions.  
I am shocked that using Image Print and their profiles that such a bad rendering should result.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?  
Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: madmanchan on May 12, 2007, 02:03:03 pm
Well, PK and MK papers are quite different fundamentally ...

MK prints will have a reduced color gamut and lower contrast.

What exactly are you seeing? Can you clarify?
Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: Mike Seroni on May 12, 2007, 03:46:54 pm
Ok. On a red fabric there is a wave and on that wave is a transition in color and tone.  With the PK papers the transition is smooth and natural.  On the MK papers the transition instead of a steady gradiation is solid color to solid color with a sharp line seperating the colors.  This is also the way it looks in the Image Print preview window.
Mike
Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: madmanchan on May 12, 2007, 05:27:17 pm
Which rendering intent are you using in IP? Have you tried both Perceptual and Relative Colorimetric? Does changing the Black Point slider make a difference?
Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: Mike Seroni on May 15, 2007, 08:24:14 pm
I have tried that and there is still a problem with the matte look.  I guess matte papers just don't work as good as papers with some gloss.
Title: image print 6 matte paper problems
Post by: madmanchan on May 16, 2007, 06:55:39 am
Hi Mike, there are definitely some differences to be expected, but the sharp transition that you describe makes it sound like more of a profile problem. I have found that IP's profiles are usually very good but sometimes there are some "bugs" or they're a bit off.