Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 10:22:53 am

Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 10:22:53 am
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a better program for Image viewing and selection than the Browse section of PS?  I just got back from a trip and have hundreds of images to sort through.  The browse section in PS does not seem to cut it for me.  I know that there are some archival programs but have never used one.  Do these have a better set of selection tools??  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 30, 2007, 11:24:55 am
I don't know what you mean by the *browse* section of Photoshop. Which version of the program are you using? Do you mean Adobe Bridge? If you are not satisfied with Bridge you may wish to try Lightroom. The Library module of Lightroom has been developed specifically to meet this need and does so very well.
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: rdonson on April 30, 2007, 12:36:04 pm
Quote
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a better program for Image viewing and selection than the Browse section of PS?  I just got back from a trip and have hundreds of images to sort through.  The browse section in PS does not seem to cut it for me.  I know that there are some archival programs but have never used one.  Do these have a better set of selection tools??  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=114985\")

Check out George Jardine's podcast on the use of Library in Lightroom.

[a href=\"http://lightroom-news.com/2007/04/20/lightroom-tutorial-podcast-30compare-view-and-quick-develop/]http://lightroom-news.com/2007/04/20/light...-quick-develop/[/url]
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 12:42:18 pm
Quote
I don't know what you mean by the *browse* section of Photoshop. Which version of the program are you using? Do you mean Adobe Bridge? If you are not satisfied with Bridge you may wish to try Lightroom. The Library module of Lightroom has been developed specifically to meet this need and does so very well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Mark,

I am running PS CS(1).  I think Bridge is in CS2.  I usually skip a ver before upgrading.  Was planning on going to CS3 after it gets some time out in the market place.  Anyway, I thing the Browse section of CS is the precursor to Adobe Bridge.  Its a little cumbersome and I don't like the way the images are laid out in a big grid pattern for open folder.

Paul
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: rdonson on April 30, 2007, 12:55:19 pm
Quote
Mark,

I am running PS CS(1).  I think Bridge is in CS2.  I usually skip a ver before upgrading.  Was planning on going to CS3 after it gets some time out in the market place.  Anyway, I thing the Browse section of CS is the precursor to Adobe Bridge.  Its a little cumbersome and I don't like the way the images are laid out in a big grid pattern for open folder.

Paul
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=115003\")


Paul, if you'd like to see what Bridge looks like in CS3 check out the video here.

[a href=\"http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/index.html]http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/index.html[/url]

I found Bridge in CS2 to be usable but clunky and a serious memory hog.
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on April 30, 2007, 01:01:33 pm
Quote
Paul, if you'd like to see what Bridge looks like in CS3 check out the video here.

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/index.html (http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs3/index.html)

I found Bridge in CS2 to be usable but clunky and a serious memory hog.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well Bridge in CS3 is considerably slower...
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 01:22:03 pm
Quote
Well Bridge in CS3 is considerably slower...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Ben, Ron,

That looks like what I am looking for.  Thanks for the link to PSUser.  Any other 3rd party programs that are in widespread use for this purpose??
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 30, 2007, 04:32:38 pm
Quote
Ben, Ron,

That looks like what I am looking for.  Thanks for the link to PSUser.  Any other 3rd party programs that are in widespread use for this purpose??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115017\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I much prefer Breezebrowser Pro, from Breeze Systems (http://www.breezesys.com/). I never liked Bridge in CS2, and what I've heard so far about Bridge in CS3 doesn't inspire confidence.

You can download a trial copy to see if you like it.
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 08:54:55 pm
Quote
I much prefer Breezebrowser Pro, from Breeze Systems (http://www.breezesys.com/). I never liked Bridge in CS2, and what I've heard so far about Bridge in CS3 doesn't inspire confidence.

You can download a trial copy to see if you like it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!  Seem to have opened a whole pandora's box now.....  I have found links to Breeze Browser, Capture One and Bibble.  Any one know two or more of them that can help me narrow the field?   Reading the info on the respective websites is going to keep me up for 3 days.   A quick look at all the features, its a wonder Adobe still has such a following with Photoshop.

Thanks.
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 30, 2007, 10:07:30 pm
There's more to Photoshop than organizing and viewing image files.

The latest version of Bridge for CS2 operates quite snappily on my PC (Dell Precision Workstation 690 with a Xeon 5160 dual core processor). The previous version was clunky, but Adobe has improved it alot, at least for CS2. (I haven't installed CS3 yet because of reported issues that I would like to see resolved before I make the switchover; I use Beta CS3 for raw conversion but stick with Bridge CS2 and Photoshop CS2 for organizing and processing.)
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Nill Toulme on April 30, 2007, 10:38:15 pm
Quote
Thanks!  Seem to have opened a whole pandora's box now.....  I have found links to Breeze Browser, Capture One and Bibble.  Any one know two or more of them that can help me narrow the field?   Reading the info on the respective websites is going to keep me up for 3 days.   A quick look at all the features, its a wonder Adobe still has such a following with Photoshop.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=115101\")
C1 and Bibble are more dedicated RAW conversion programs.  I use C1 for RAW conversion, but I still use BreezeBrowser Pro for image browsing, selection and culling — as well as a lot of other things like batch file renaming, proof generation, HTML gallery creation, etc.  BB Pro and C1 are among my top three or four programs I would not want to be without.  (PS is down around #5...)

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: One Frame at a Time on April 30, 2007, 10:48:12 pm
Quote
C1 and Bibble are more dedicated RAW conversion programs.  I use C1 for RAW conversion, but I still use BreezeBrowser Pro for image browsing, selection and culling — as well as a lot of other things like batch file renaming, proof generation, HTML gallery creation, etc.  BB Pro and C1 are among my top three or four programs I would not want to be without.  (PS is down around #5...)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net (http://www.toulme.net)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Everyone.  Nill I will focus on BBP.  
One more question (not my last one for sure):
What is DAM??  I see it mentioned on some of the forums (here and DP Review) but
can't seem to find what it refers to (other than the fact that Light Room has it but PS does not...).  

The more you know - the less you know LOL,

Paul
Title: Image Comparison and Selection
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 30, 2007, 10:58:37 pm
DAM = Digital Asset Management (Techno-babble for what you are trying to do)