Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ultimind on April 24, 2007, 01:18:00 pm

Title: New printer purchase
Post by: ultimind on April 24, 2007, 01:18:00 pm
I'm fairly new to this site, and I was looking for others opinions in regards to my next printer purchase. I currently own a Canon S9000 and after seeing some prints from more modern printers, I think i'm ready to retire the good old S9k.

I'm looking to spend under $500 for a new printer, and 13x19 prints are DEFINITELY not a priority for me. They were back in 2003 when I bought the printer but not anymore. I take care of my large format needs elsewhere now... but I can't seem to find a Fuji Frontier that's open late at night when I usually need prints made!


I would love to get a printer that could produce prints equal to or better than what I get off the Fuji Frontier from my local lab. Is a printer such as an Epson R800 required for prints of this caliber? What other option(s) do I have in my sub-$500 price range? Again, 13x19 prints are not a requirement.

Thanks!
-David
Title: New printer purchase
Post by: usathyan on May 02, 2007, 12:27:22 pm
anyone? i am in the same boat and am looking forward for an answer/advice.....
Title: New printer purchase
Post by: situgrrl on May 02, 2007, 01:12:03 pm
I use an Epson 2100 and find it far superior to Fuji Frontier.  It's been replaced by the R2400 though many are saying the crown for 13" printers currently lies with HP.  I'm unsure if they make an A4 version.

The R800 is an A4 version of the R1800 - I think that this is the same inkset as my 2100 but with a gloss optimiser cart as well.  I cannot comment on it's abilities having never used one.