Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: SockPuppet on April 18, 2007, 06:49:06 pm

Title: CS3 or CS3 Extended?
Post by: SockPuppet on April 18, 2007, 06:49:06 pm
Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to CS3 once it's available (in a couple of days time, I think). Is there any reason to go for CS3 extended rather than just CS3? I do quite a lot of compositing, so its auto alignment and image stacks look extremely useful. Is any of that missing in the non-extended version?

Thank you in advance. :-)
Title: CS3 or CS3 Extended?
Post by: pss on April 20, 2007, 08:10:12 pm
Quote
Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to CS3 once it's available (in a couple of days time, I think). Is there any reason to go for CS3 extended rather than just CS3? I do quite a lot of compositing, so its auto alignment and image stacks look extremely useful. Is any of that missing in the non-extended version?

Thank you in advance. :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


there is no beta for the extended version as far as i know.....anyway i already bought CS3 extended, but i believe what you are talking about is included in the regular version....auto alignment?HDR is a lot better then CS2...
you best bet is to call adobe or go to their website and find out
Title: CS3 or CS3 Extended?
Post by: KenS on April 22, 2007, 01:59:32 am
Quote
I do quite a lot of compositing, so its auto alignment and image stacks look extremely useful. Is any of that missing in the non-extended version?

Thank you in advance. :-)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=113160\")

Based on what I've read the image stack is NOT available in the standard version.
You will probably be interested in the following by Martin Evening on this topic:

[a href=\"http://photoshopnews.com/2007/03/27/image-stacks-in-photoshop-cs3-extended/]http://photoshopnews.com/2007/03/27/image-...p-cs3-extended/[/url]

I am trying to decide between purchasing CS3 or CS3 Extended and, as best I can tell there are only two reasons for a photographer to go Extended ...

1)  the image stack option (in my case, to reduce noise by stacking images and using the mean algorithm).

2) If you have MATLAB and, I think (to be effective) the MATLAB Image Processing Toolbox and want to develop/test your own MATLAB based algorithms on your images.  I don't have a good handle on how this works, and while I have MATLAB I don't have the Image Processing Toolbox... it ain't cheap !

Anybody else have any insights or corrections?

Ken
Title: CS3 or CS3 Extended?
Post by: 61Dynamic on April 22, 2007, 12:28:42 pm
The stacking is only for Extended and this is really the only compelling reason any photographer (outside of medical imaging/science research) would want Extended.