Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Sr.Cordeiro on April 17, 2007, 07:30:28 am

Title: Futuristic architecture - Color or BW?
Post by: Sr.Cordeiro on April 17, 2007, 07:30:28 am
Hi,

This is a recent shot I've made. When I was on PP I got two results I liked, one on color and another on b&w.
The color version has a different crop too, I intended to do a 3 thirds division on the vertical but I also like the longuer version of the b&w.

What do you think?

[attachment=2300:attachment]

[attachment=2301:attachment]
Title: Futuristic architecture - Color or BW?
Post by: robertvine on April 17, 2007, 08:32:32 am
Go B&W. I don't think that colour adds anything to this photo and the B&W seems to focus your eye more on the detail in the image.
Title: Futuristic architecture - Color or BW?
Post by: boku on April 17, 2007, 09:57:32 am
Quote
Hi,

This is a recent shot I've made. When I was on PP I got two results I liked, one on color and another on b&w.
The color version has a different crop too, I intended to do a 3 thirds division on the vertical but I also like the longuer version of the b&w.

What do you think?

[attachment=2300:attachment]

[attachment=2301:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112819\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can have the best of both worlds. Consider a monochrome overlay where only the yellow squares peek through. I use this technique (ripped off from the "Shindler List" movie) occasionally. The door to Garfield's Tomb, taken Sunday...

(http://boku.smugmug.com/photos/143920858-M.jpg)
Title: Futuristic architecture - Color or BW?
Post by: Kirk Gittings on April 17, 2007, 11:14:07 am
The b&w lends a kind of "gothic" feel to the image, which juxtaposed against the modern design, gives the image some tension and intrigue. Well done.
Title: Futuristic architecture - Color or BW?
Post by: wolfnowl on April 17, 2007, 03:57:28 pm
Of the two I prefer the B&W, but Bob's idea with some colour bleed in the louvres might be interesting too...

Mike.