Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: thompsonkirk on April 16, 2007, 04:38:01 pm

Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: thompsonkirk on April 16, 2007, 04:38:01 pm
In December I saw an announcement that a Beta version of PK Sharpener would soon be available in Universal Binary for CS3, but I didn't find it on the PixelGenius website or forum.  I thought than maybe Michael & the many others on this forum who use the PKSharpener would have some information.  I know this was delayed - I hope not halted - by Bruce's death, & I wonder if anyone has heard about a forthcoming release?  

Others may be in the same position as I am - setting up a new IntelMac to pair with the final release of CS3, & wanting to keep their old workflow habits as intact as possible.  I wouldn't want to use a different sharpener!

Kirk
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Roy on April 16, 2007, 05:12:16 pm
You can find it here:

http://www.pixelgenius.com/CS3BETA.html (http://www.pixelgenius.com/CS3BETA.html)
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: thompsonkirk on April 16, 2007, 10:30:49 pm
Right - there it is, on the home page!  I'd logged into the forum, & then went from there to downloads, where it's not listed.  If anyone else jumped to downloads, go back to the PixelGenius home page!
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Schewe on April 16, 2007, 10:53:24 pm
We'll have final versions of both the Mac & Win versions (with some fixes for earlier than CS2 in Vista) in a relatively short time...

Adobe kinda jumped the gun releasing the CS3 Suite today...we thought it was gonna happen the 20th (Friday) and we are only now downloading the final GM of CS3.

:~(

But it'll come...sooner rather than later.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: jlmwyo on April 19, 2007, 03:49:24 am
Jeff, one thing you might want to look at if you haven't allready seen it: CS3 on Windows, sometimes PK will take an inordinate amount of time to complete running, it almost acts as if its frozen in fact. While this is going on you can watch free memory go down and down and down and down.

Weird thing is: it SEEMS (and I'm still testing) that closing Bridge down somewhat helps the problem. It doesn't do it consistently thou.

Hrm.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Schewe on April 19, 2007, 12:41:01 pm
Quote
CS3 on Windows, sometimes PK will take an inordinate amount of time to complete running, it almost acts as if its frozen in fact. While this is going on you can watch free memory go down and down and down and down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113204\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


XP or Vista?
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: jlmwyo on April 19, 2007, 02:28:28 pm
Sorry, XP.

ETA: It might just be an installation issue with CS3 itself Jeff. Bridge does some weird stuff, namely: on ocassion when you close it it appears to be stopped but when you look at the Task Manager its still sitting there occupying memory. Hopefully they put up the new Windoze Clean Script soon, and then I'll report back and let you know.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Schewe on April 19, 2007, 03:23:03 pm
Well, we'll be releasing free new updates to all our products by the end of the month (we hope) to address some left over bugs in the Mac UB version as well as fix some PhotoKit Color 2 Windows issues and some Vista issues.

I can't say we've gone through each and every action in the products step by step, but it's been real close...we did find some issues with RSA in Color 2.0 that needed fixing for CS2 and CS3 Win, but PhotoKit and PK Sharpener seems to be fine on CS3 on XP.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: budjames on April 19, 2007, 10:21:48 pm
How about on a Mac?

Bud
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: picnic on April 19, 2007, 10:52:55 pm
Quote
Sorry, XP.

ETA: It might just be an installation issue with CS3 itself Jeff. Bridge does some weird stuff, namely: on ocassion when you close it it appears to be stopped but when you look at the Task Manager its still sitting there occupying memory. Hopefully they put up the new Windoze Clean Script soon, and then I'll report back and let you know.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113309\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How did you uninstall the beta?  I'm getting ready to uninstall from the control panel which I've been told is the preferred method--script second.  BTW--the script is up---I have a copy on my HD, am backing up my drive tonight and plan to install CS3 tomorrow.

Diane
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 23, 2007, 07:37:47 pm
Jeff, is there any problem using the present commercial version of PK sharpener (PC) that I have for CS2 with CS3? Or should I wait for the next commercial version of PK Sharpener before installing CS3? (I wouldn't use another version of Photoshop until I can use PK Sharpener with it!)
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: David White on April 23, 2007, 08:14:12 pm
Quote
Jeff, is there any problem using the present commercial version of PK sharpener (PC) that I have for CS2 with CS3? Or should I wait for the next commercial version of PK Sharpener before installing CS3? (I wouldn't use another version of Photoshop until I can use PK Sharpener with it!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm running the current released version of PK Sharpener with CS3 and seeing no problems.  Go ahead and buy a couple copies of CS3 and help keep the share price up.  
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Schewe on April 23, 2007, 08:29:09 pm
Quote
Jeff, is there any problem using the present commercial version of PK sharpener (PC) that I have for CS2 with CS3? Or should I wait for the next commercial version of PK Sharpener before installing CS3? (I wouldn't use another version of Photoshop until I can use PK Sharpener with it!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


XP or Vista? We'll have some Vista only fixes (and fixes for PhotoKit Color 2, Mac & Win) end of the month. But if XP, no, go ahead and use PKS 1.2.4
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 23, 2007, 08:39:08 pm
Quote
I'm running the current released version of PK Sharpener with CS3 and seeing no problems.  Go ahead and buy a couple copies of CS3 and help keep the share price up.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David, sorry for your share price, but it's just an up-grade!  
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 23, 2007, 08:41:13 pm
Quote
XP or Vista? We'll have some Vista only fixes (and fixes for PhotoKit Color 2, Mac & Win) end of the month. But if XP, no, go ahead and use PKS 1.2.4
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jeff - sorry - XP it is. Thanks for the quick response. Here's wishing you and your colleagues at PixelGenius all the best in the forthcoming round of product up-grades.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: jlmwyo on April 24, 2007, 02:45:07 am
Quote
How did you uninstall the beta?  I'm getting ready to uninstall from the control panel which I've been told is the preferred method--script second.  BTW--the script is up---I have a copy on my HD, am backing up my drive tonight and plan to install CS3 tomorrow.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wound up using the script to install at the end of the day.

I'm still seeing some 'weird' behvaiour out of Bridge (XP) thou. Sometimes you can close
it, and then when you go and look in Task Manager its still running and using up memory!

And, as far as PKS goes (at least in MY case) in the instances where PKS seems to hang during Capture Sharpening, closing Bridge down 'unfreezes' it. Weird stuff.

I've seen some rather vocal complains about CS3 over on Adobe's forums. Perhaps we should start a "CS3 Bug Thread" here.
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 24, 2007, 08:46:31 am
I've been poking around for such a thread - I think it is an excellent idea, so I shall start it just now!
Title: PhotoKit Sharpener for CS3
Post by: Mark D Segal on April 24, 2007, 08:47:52 am
Oops - I notice it was already created - earlier today. Great.