Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Geoff Wittig on April 14, 2007, 09:34:41 pm

Title: Z3100 D-max?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on April 14, 2007, 09:34:41 pm
I've read posts about the Z3100 with great interest, and I'm seriously considering one as a step up from my Epson 7600. My biggest concern is the D-max this printer can generate, since much of my work is now black & white. To my eye at least, D-max is immensely important to the perceived quality and impact of black & white prints. Within months of the first rumors of Epson's 2400/7800/9800 there were published reports detailing the D-max these printers could yield. I can't find anything spelling out the D-max the HP Z3100 can produce on semigloss/luster versus fine art/cotton rag papers.
So can any of our illustrious members enlighten me?
Title: Z3100 D-max?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on April 15, 2007, 08:24:32 am
Quote
I've read posts about the Z3100 with great interest, and I'm seriously considering one as a step up from my Epson 7600. My biggest concern is the D-max this printer can generate, since much of my work is now black & white. To my eye at least, D-max is immensely important to the perceived quality and impact of black & white prints. Within months of the first rumors of Epson's 2400/7800/9800 there were published reports detailing the D-max these printers could yield. I can't find anything spelling out the D-max the HP Z3100 can produce on semigloss/luster versus fine art/cotton rag papers.
So can any of our illustrious members enlighten me?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=112424\")

Which reminds me that I should make some B&W profiles for HP Premium Instant Dry satin and gloss.

I have no numbers yet for gloss or satin but on HM PhotoRag in the Advanced B&W mode (HP calls it Advanced Lightness and Gray Balance Adjustment) of the Z3100 driver
I get 1.73-1.74 Dmax. Media profile chosen is Thick Fine Art paper>250 gsm and calibrated. On top of that I use a by the Quadtone Rip profiler created QTR RGB B&W profile. Printing from Qimage. That is higher on HM PR than I could get with my Epson 9000 and 10000 loaded with MIS Eboni black, the last is considered a very good matte pigment ink on HM coatings.

While the Litho realistic media profile gives a wider color gamut on HM PR it is less in Dmax.

A RIP may be able to get near 1.8 Dmax but usually that will be the max possible.




Ernst Dinkla

try:  [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]
Title: Z3100 D-max?
Post by: Geoff Wittig on April 15, 2007, 03:40:12 pm
Many thanks!
I suspect that I will lean toward the semi-gloss & luster papers for my B&W prints for the darker D-max; currently I've been using an Epson 2400 for this reason, cursing its obscene ink costs the whole time.
Title: Z3100 D-max?
Post by: Mussi_Spectraflow on April 15, 2007, 11:47:47 pm
I measured an L* of right around 3.2 on the HP ID Satin paper using the drivers and a cutom profile. The black ink is very dense, to the point that the blacks are at times noticably more dense than prints made on other printers.

Julian Mussi
www.spectraflow.com