Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Hunter1942 on April 03, 2007, 08:41:26 am

Title: Which monitor should I choose?
Post by: Hunter1942 on April 03, 2007, 08:41:26 am
Hey,

I have a few choices in monitors but i'm not sure if my pc can handle the higher resolutions.

Here are the contestants

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824112003 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112003)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824112002 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112002)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824112177 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112177)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824112006 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824112006)

Now, I am a hardcore gamer, but I also do a lot of photo editing and photography related stuff.

The max resolution of the 20.1 inch monitors are

1680 x 1050

The max resolution of the 19 inch widescreen monitor is

1440 x 900

The max resolution of the 19 inch standard monitor is

1280 X 1024

Will widescreen work flawlessly with my desktop, photoshop programs and games such as Half Life 2? Or, should I go with the standard screen?

Also, can my pc handle the max resolution of the 20.1 in monitor?

Here are my Specs

Intel Pentium D 840(3.2GHz)
1GB 3200 RAM
BFG 7800 GS Overclocked
Hitachi 160GB SATA

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum completely but I need some help.

Thanks.
Title: Which monitor should I choose?
Post by: mahleu on April 03, 2007, 09:25:09 am
If your video card can support the resolution then everything will be fine. Photoshop and all general applications will work fine. I'm not sure but i think you can set half life to run in a widescreen format in the game options, if not then you'll just end up with black bars on either side.
Title: Which monitor should I choose?
Post by: Hunter1942 on April 03, 2007, 09:46:50 am
Quote
If your video card can support the resolution then everything will be fine. Photoshop and all general applications will work fine. I'm not sure but i think you can set half life to run in a widescreen format in the game options, if not then you'll just end up with black bars on either side.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


O.K., thanks for your help. Half Life 2 does run in Widescreen mode now that I think of it.

Besides, even if I do get black bars on the sides it is similiar to what I get now. Whenever I watch something that is widescreen I get black bars on the top because I have a standard LCD.