Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Robert Roaldi on March 26, 2007, 12:15:46 pm

Title: Question about image resampling
Post by: Robert Roaldi on March 26, 2007, 12:15:46 pm
I have a question about image resampling (down and up) on MAC. I recently switched to MAC and don't really know everything that's out there for the platform. I used to use Picture Windows Pro on Windows; it is very comprehensive and does everything I need but there are no plans to port it to MAC.

Let me add that I am a photo amateur and will not spend $1000 (cdn) on Photoshop. I am certain it's everything everyone says it is, but it would be foolish for me to spend that amount of money for my purposes.

I am considering using Bibble (currently testing) and like it. But it's resampling (especially uprezzing) tools are not sophisticated. It also doesn't do perspective control but there's a $10 plug-in that does what I need. I am also considering Lightzone as image editor as there aren't many 16-bit editors for MAC right now. (That I have found, I should add. It's quite possible that I missed something.) However, Lightzone also does not support uprezzing at this time. I suspect that it eventually will. Is there a Bibble plug-in or even stand-alone MAC tool that does uprezzing (at least Bicubic, if not genuine fractals) out there? This will likely be a stop gap solution for me since I am certain that a future Bibble or LZ release will address this.

I know about running Windows on the MAC but will not do that, if for no other reason than it means another $120 for Parallels and $200 odd more for XP. I am trying to simplify my life, not complicate it.  

Thanks.
Title: Question about image resampling
Post by: Wolfman on March 26, 2007, 04:45:38 pm
Quote
I have a question about image resampling (down and up) on MAC. I recently switched to MAC and don't really know everything that's out there for the platform. I used to use Picture Windows Pro on Windows; it is very comprehensive and does everything I need but there are no plans to port it to MAC.

Let me add that I am a photo amateur and will not spend $1000 (cdn) on Photoshop. I am certain it's everything everyone says it is, but it would be foolish for me to spend that amount of money for my purposes.

I am considering using Bibble (currently testing) and like it. But it's resampling (especially uprezzing) tools are not sophisticated. It also doesn't do perspective control but there's a $10 plug-in that does what I need. I am also considering Lightzone as image editor as there aren't many 16-bit editors for MAC right now. (That I have found, I should add. It's quite possible that I missed something.) However, Lightzone also does not support uprezzing at this time. I suspect that it eventually will. Is there a Bibble plug-in or even stand-alone MAC tool that does uprezzing (at least Bicubic, if not genuine fractals) out there? This will likely be a stop gap solution for me since I am certain that a future Bibble or LZ release will address this.

I know about running Windows on the MAC but will not do that, if for no other reason than it means another $120 for Parallels and $200 odd more for XP. I am trying to simplify my life, not complicate it.  

Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Why don't you give Photoshop Elements a look? It's very reasonably priced. In the full Photoshop, when you uprez you use bicubic smoother. This does a very good job of uprezing. When you down rez bicubic sharper is recommended.  I'm not sure if Elements has that ability, but if it does, I would go for it.
Title: Question about image resampling
Post by: francois on March 27, 2007, 03:24:02 am
Quote
I have a question about image resampling (down and up) on MAC. I recently switched to MAC and don't really know everything that's out there for the platform. I used to use Picture Windows Pro on Windows; it is very comprehensive and does everything I need but there are no plans to port it to MAC.

Let me add that I am a photo amateur and will not spend $1000 (cdn) on Photoshop. I am certain it's everything everyone says it is, but it would be foolish for me to spend that amount of money for my purposes.

I am considering using Bibble (currently testing) and like it. But it's resampling (especially uprezzing) tools are not sophisticated. It also doesn't do perspective control but there's a $10 plug-in that does what I need. I am also considering Lightzone as image editor as there aren't many 16-bit editors for MAC right now. (That I have found, I should add. It's quite possible that I missed something.) However, Lightzone also does not support uprezzing at this time. I suspect that it eventually will. Is there a Bibble plug-in or even stand-alone MAC tool that does uprezzing (at least Bicubic, if not genuine fractals) out there? This will likely be a stop gap solution for me since I am certain that a future Bibble or LZ release will address this.

I know about running Windows on the MAC but will not do that, if for no other reason than it means another $120 for Parallels and $200 odd more for XP. I am trying to simplify my life, not complicate it.  

Thanks.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=108787\")
You may want to look into either PhotoZoom Pro 2 ([a href=\"http://www.benvista.com/main/content/content.php?page=ourproducts&section=photozoompro_1]here[/url]) or SizeFixer (here (http://www.fixerlabs.com/New_Website/pages/sizefixer.htm)). They are expensive stand-alone applications (Photozoom is around $150) and I have no personal experience with them. Trail/demo versions available for download, though.
Other solutions such as Genuine Fractals are PS based plug-ins. PS Elements would be OK but does it support 16 bit editing?