Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: jsch on March 24, 2007, 12:53:55 pm
-
The performance and stability of my MacBookPro (2,33GHz, Core 2 Duo 10.4.9, 2 GB) is horrible. Photoshop and Bridge CS2 and CS3 (Beta) are running slower than on my PowerBook G4 (1.25 GHz, 1,5 GB). Both applications crash every 30 minutes. When I plug in a video projector the curser frezzes most of the time. Sometimes applications (Acrobat) didn't even start. They crash at once and then it needs 3-4 restarts until they work again. I checked with the Activity Monitor the versions and with Xbench the performance but the results were not really helpfull. I work mainly with EOS 1Ds Mark II RAW and 16bit Photoshop files.
Is the Phase One software faster on Intel Macs?
Any similar experience?
I'm in the middle of a large project. Any input is welcome.
Thanks,
Johannes
-
Something isn't right that's for sure. Should be a LOT faster and there should be no such crashes.
Might be a bad ram chip or two. That's a sign you see when Photoshop crashes a lot. Of course you could try a clean install of OS X. What you're reporting isn't normal. You've got either a hardware or software issue on your hands.
See if you can find a little utility called Graphing Calculator which used to ship from Apple. Quit ALL applications and processes and run it over night. If you wake up and the machine crashed or locked up, its time to pop out a Ram chip and try the test again.
-
Johannes,
I use 1DSII's and the same computer and find that most things are faster with the exception of some weird pauses now and again, Photoshop never crashes on mine.
I use C1 for raws processing and it does have a slight problem with 1DSII Raws in that if there are more then 400 or so in a folder it can take a long time to make Capture One settings and crash sometimes, if I divide the job into multiple folders it runs fine.
The shop where I get my gear told me this is a problem with the latest OS and !DSII files not the computer.
The time it takes to convert raws to other formats is MUCH faster then the G4's..
-
unusual situation. run the diagnostic disk that came with your machine !
Edmund
-
Hi,
I have testet the hardware, but no errors were found. So the reinstallation of the system seems to be the next step.
Any other ideas?
Best,
Johannes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Agreed. Reinstallation is a good idea.
But before that, do a repair permissions and see whether that helps, and also check the drive (both are done with Disk Utility).
Edmund