Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Rick_Allen on March 20, 2007, 06:57:03 am

Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: Rick_Allen on March 20, 2007, 06:57:03 am
So Adobe has a sale on for students in Australia. And while it states that its not for commercial use but can they really tell if I'm using my kids version of photoshop.
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: David Anderson on March 20, 2007, 07:09:51 am
Could you tell if someone pays you a small use fee for one of your shots and runs it big ?

It's a moral question..
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: francois on March 20, 2007, 07:28:45 am
Quote
So Adobe has a sale on for students in Australia. And while it states that its not for commercial use but can they really tell if I'm using my kids version of photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Read the end user license agreement (EULA). It should give you the exact context in which Photoshop can be used.
As David wrote above, it's mostly a moral thing.
 
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: Greg Barnett on March 20, 2007, 10:32:25 am
The educational EUL is quite specific and does prohibit commercial use. As someone in higher-ed who has to enforce the license in a very large university environment, I can tell you that Adobe does take this seriously.

You can also jeopardize the host institution's (assuming there is one) master license agreement by doing this...
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: jule on March 20, 2007, 05:31:22 pm
Quote
So Adobe has a sale on for students in Australia. And while it states that its not for commercial use but can they really tell if I'm using my kids version of photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Would you not do something when you were a kid because you thought you would be caught?

Let's say you know that Adobe can track whether you are using it and find out that you are using it in a commercial situation,....... and then lets say they can't...what difference does it make? Are you a student using it for educational purposes or not?

Julie
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: Rick_Allen on March 20, 2007, 06:05:23 pm
thanks for the info guys. I have a bunch of licenses at the moment and was thinking of getting a cheap G5 for home that the kids and I could use. So I guess thats not exactly what adobe intends. I just wish that the 1 desktop and one laptop rule was more like 2xCpu's that aren't running at the same time or something.
Title: Cs2.3 For $235AUD for students
Post by: eronald on March 22, 2007, 11:29:04 am
Quote
thanks for the info guys. I have a bunch of licenses at the moment and was thinking of getting a cheap G5 for home that the kids and I could use. So I guess thats not exactly what adobe intends. I just wish that the 1 desktop and one laptop rule was more like 2xCpu's that aren't running at the same time or something.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=107773\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe education licenses can be upgraded to a regular license by any of the regular updaters. Although I may be wrong ...

Edmund