Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: bwpuk on March 19, 2007, 05:38:34 am

Title: Software Correction of Lens Distortion
Post by: bwpuk on March 19, 2007, 05:38:34 am
Has anyone compared and tried the various methods for correction of lens distortion via software? What I'd like to know is how they compare with CS2 and even the Hasselblad DAC correction for their new 28mm lens. I mean is it really worth buying their solution or can you get by with an alternative.

I'm really thinking mainly of architectural work here. Any ideas and suggestions?

Cheers,

Barrie Watts
Title: Software Correction of Lens Distortion
Post by: Mark D Segal on March 23, 2007, 11:06:01 pm
I can't give you a comparison between lenses with built-in distortion mitigation versus software, because I don't own such lenses. However regarding software - there are two tools in Photoshop that do a pretty good job of this: Lens Correction Filter, and Transform (Perspective, Skew and Warp are my favorites). Working these carefully can do a quite convincing job of straightening all kinds of such issues. It is useful to know how these filters and adjustments behave, so that when you take the picture and know that such corrections will be needed you can make the necessary allowances for the kinds of stretching that will take place. Your skewed building will need "space" to move around in.
Title: Software Correction of Lens Distortion
Post by: Thomas Krüger on March 24, 2007, 02:11:02 am
PTLens from www.epaperpress.com a frontend for PanoTools, works fine. And the price tag is ok.
Title: Software Correction of Lens Distortion
Post by: thompsonkirk on March 24, 2007, 12:17:55 pm
For Mac version, google "Kekus".
Title: Software Correction of Lens Distortion
Post by: bwpuk on March 26, 2007, 06:09:35 pm
Has anyone tried DXO Optics Software ? If so how does it compare with all these others. With the Hasselblad it seems they embed this correction into the Camera Firmware especially with the new 28mm lens. I've seen a fisheye distorted image corrected into a normal wide angle shot with DXO and also wonder how this compares quality wise with the new Hasselblad 28mm lens.

Cheers

Barrie Watts