Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dmg on March 14, 2007, 05:27:02 am

Title: Difference between Hannemuhle Photo Rag 308 and 18
Post by: dmg on March 14, 2007, 05:27:02 am
Please excuse this simple question, but I have searched around and I can't find the answer.

Is there any difference between the Hann. Photo Rag 310 and the 188 except for their
thickness?

I am new to fine art printing and I am attracted to the price of the 188, but I am not sure what exactly I am missing by not buying the 310.

Thank kindly for any response,


daniel
Title: Difference between Hannemuhle Photo Rag 308 and 18
Post by: pcox on March 14, 2007, 06:34:37 am
There is no difference other than thickness. I have seen some posts on this forum stating that you get different results with the two papers, but I've been using both for a couple of years now and have never found a discernable difference in print quality or gamut.

The only thing you need to be aware of is is that some printers (such as the Z3100) require you to tell them when you're using a thick paper type. If you are using Photo Rag 308gsm you need to specify the 'thick' Fine Art Paper type, but if you're using 188, you specify the 'normal' Fine Art Paper. This has to do with how close the heads pass to the paper surface - if you specify a normal thickness and use a thick paper you can end up with the zebra striping issue discussed in another thread. This is due to the print heads striking the paper surface during printing.

Cheers,
Peter

Quote
Please excuse this simple question, but I have searched around and I can't find the answer.

Is there any difference between the Hann. Photo Rag 310 and the 188 except for their
thickness?

I am new to fine art printing and I am attracted to the price of the 188, but I am not sure what exactly I am missing by not buying the 188.

Thank kindly for any response,
daniel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: Difference between Hannemuhle Photo Rag 308 and 18
Post by: JeffKohn on March 14, 2007, 01:12:37 pm
I haven't used the 188 weight in a while, but it seems to me when I started using the 308 my initial impression was that the thicker paper had ever-so-slightly more texture. The inkjet coating is the same though; color gamut, dmax, etc should be the same.
Title: Difference between Hannemuhle Photo Rag 308 and 18
Post by: thompsonkirk on March 14, 2007, 06:23:06 pm
If you're thinking of making workprints on 188 in order to make larger prints later on 308, this works OK - but how about using 196 Duo instead?  It's coated on both sides, so you can re-cycle all your mistakes to make more workprints at a substantial saving.  

Kirk