Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: larsrc on March 11, 2007, 08:22:08 am

Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: larsrc on March 11, 2007, 08:22:08 am
Does anybody know what effect magnetic fields have on DSLRs or memory cards (flash ram only)?  I'm considering whether magnets would be useful for keeping a camera from bouncing while walking or biking, but don't want it to damage my equipment.  I obviously won't be having magnets near the camera when shooting, just when carrying it around.

Thanks,
-Lars
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: michael on March 11, 2007, 09:20:55 am
Velcro might be a better idea.  

Michael
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: francois on March 11, 2007, 09:48:51 am
Quote
Does anybody know what effect magnetic fields have on DSLRs or memory cards (flash ram only)?  I'm considering whether magnets would be useful for keeping a camera from bouncing while walking or biking, but don't want it to damage my equipment.  I obviously won't be having magnets near the camera when shooting, just when carrying it around.

Thanks,
-Lars
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=106015\")
Lars,
You might want to visit the [a href=\"http://www.rotation360.com/r360_video.html]TT Rotation 360[/url] website and click on the 70-200 f 2.8 link and watch the short video clip. There's also a photo of the setup here (http://www.rotation360.com/images/feature_image25.jpg).
It might give some ideas about reducing the movements of your camera. Velcro and staps are without a doubt a better way than magnets.
Galen Rowell had a description [in one of his books] of a neoprene chest strap he used when he was running with a camera around his neck. I don't know if such a strap is available for sale?
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: larsrc on March 11, 2007, 10:37:11 am
Quote
Velcro might be a better idea.   

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried velcro, making a belt with the velcro hooks and a velcro plate to go into the tripod holder, but it would eventually tear itself loose.  A magnet system would at least "reset" after each jiggle.

-Lars
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: francois on March 11, 2007, 11:05:04 am
Quote
I tried velcro, making a belt with the velcro hooks and a velcro plate to go into the tripod holder, but it would eventually tear itself loose.  A magnet system would at least "reset" after each jiggle.

-Lars
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
How about using neoprene? I'm thinking of making some sort of holster.
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: CatOne on March 11, 2007, 10:37:37 pm
Strong magnets around electronic equipment are a bad idea.  I'd suggest looking at other alternatives.
Title: Magnetic fields and cameras?
Post by: Colorado David on March 12, 2007, 09:16:31 am
I've shot a lot of video in hospitals and medical facilities.  When shooting around MRI machines that have very strong magnetic fields, permanent magnets not electro-magnets, you can watch the effect in a monitor as you move your camera closer.  I've never had a still camera in the same environment, but it can't be good.  We would position the camera by watching the monitor to get as close as possible without having the distortion effects from the magnetic field.