Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Ted Hayes on March 08, 2007, 08:32:21 am

Title: LR Handling of Original Date/Time Time Zone
Post by: Ted Hayes on March 08, 2007, 08:32:21 am
Has anyone else noticed what I think is a bad feature of LR related to the display/use of the EXIF original date time.  I've noticed that LR displays the time using the CURRENT TIME ZONE setting of computer (at least in XP) and not the time zone that was set by the camera when the photo was shot (at least Canon).

This causes problems when you try to use the EXIF date time data in an export file name, or to display a text field on a slide show.  Since a generated value will change depending on when you perform the operation (e.g., today or next week because of daylight savings), it leads to undesired results.

I've adopted YYMMDD_HHMMSS as the base file name convention for all my images.  If I try to export from LR using the LR generated HHMMSS, and the current time zone (i.e., UTC offset) and the original image file time zone are different, I don't get the filename I expect.

I've tested this by changing the time zone on my computer, which causes the displayed time to change.  I think this should at most be an optional behavior, rather than the default.

Ted
Title: LR Handling of Original Date/Time Time Zone
Post by: Ted Hayes on July 16, 2007, 01:22:21 pm
I posted this note back in March about a problem with LR 1.0 and the displayed original data time of an image.  This behavior (a bug I believe) still exists in LR 1.1;  has anyone else observed this behavior?

I have photos that where shot back in February that LR 1.1 "displays" as being shot 1:00 hour later than they actually where.  When I look at the image metadata in another application (i.e., Adobe Bridge) the metadata shows the correct time.  LR appears to adjust the displayed based on the current system time setting (i.e., original images were shot in EST and the current computer time is EDT).

Ted

Quote
Has anyone else noticed what I think is a bad feature of LR related to the display/use of the EXIF original date time.  I've noticed that LR displays the time using the CURRENT TIME ZONE setting of computer (at least in XP) and not the time zone that was set by the camera when the photo was shot (at least Canon).

This causes problems when you try to use the EXIF date time data in an export file name, or to display a text field on a slide show.  Since a generated value will change depending on when you perform the operation (e.g., today or next week because of daylight savings), it leads to undesired results.

I've adopted YYMMDD_HHMMSS as the base file name convention for all my images.  If I try to export from LR using the LR generated HHMMSS, and the current time zone (i.e., UTC offset) and the original image file time zone are different, I don't get the filename I expect.

I've tested this by changing the time zone on my computer, which causes the displayed time to change.  I think this should at most be an optional behavior, rather than the default.

Ted
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Title: LR Handling of Original Date/Time Time Zone
Post by: John.Murray on July 18, 2007, 12:01:36 am
Quote
I posted this note back in March about a problem with LR 1.0 and the displayed original data time of an image.  This behavior (a bug I believe) still exists in LR 1.1;  has anyone else observed this behavior?

I have photos that where shot back in February that LR 1.1 "displays" as being shot 1:00 hour later than they actually where.  When I look at the image metadata in another application (i.e., Adobe Bridge) the metadata shows the correct time.  LR appears to adjust the displayed based on the current system time setting (i.e., original images were shot in EST and the current computer time is EDT).

Ted
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128449\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Confirmed here:  Very odd . . . .