Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Coot on March 06, 2007, 01:38:06 pm
-
Overall I'm very pleased with this printer except...
I'm printing a batch of 8.5x11 glossies from the cassette. On about every third print there are black ink drops, football-shaped approx 1/8th inch wide (in relation to the direction of travel) sometimes as many as four in a row.
No error messages shown. Printer is 2 months old, light non-commercial use, it is powered off when not in use--off 3 days at a time max. Usually does a head cleaning when powered on.
What causes these and what is the fix?
-
Overall I'm very pleased with this printer except...
I'm printing a batch of 8.5x11 glossies from the cassette. On about every third print there are black ink drops, football-shaped approx 1/8th inch wide (in relation to the direction of travel) sometimes as many as four in a row.
No error messages shown. Printer is 2 months old, light non-commercial use, it is powered off when not in use--off 3 days at a time max. Usually does a head cleaning when powered on.
What causes these and what is the fix?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=105039\")
One person had a somewhat similar problem posted on the Wiki:
[a href=\"http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com]http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com[/url]
I am not sure if they arrived at a solution. Check the discussion forum threads.
Also, I would call Canon USA (or another if you are in another country), as this is NOT a common problem and may indicate some kind of defect in your printer.
--John
-
One person had a somewhat similar problem posted on the Wiki:
http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com (http://www.canonipf5000.wikispaces.com)
I am not sure if they arrived at a solution. Check the discussion forum threads.
Also, I would call Canon USA (or another if you are in another country), as this is NOT a common problem and may indicate some kind of defect in your printer.
--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks John. I called Canon and Paul said it wasn't something he had an answer for right away but try the process of elimination, ie-see if it happens on other papers. So I printed a batch of 6 on 20# bond ("Plain Paper" setting and they were all without drips, then I printed 6 back on the glossy photo (which is 8.5x11 Costco "Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper" and they were all clean, too. Maybe the plain paper cleaned something. I dunno.
-
I had posted about drips from my ipf8000 and I was told the most likely cause is the profile. You may search the Epson Yahoo group for drips and it may lead you to the same cause from the many Epson users in the past. What is your profiling software? Is it a canned profile or custom?
Thanks John. I called Canon and Paul said it wasn't something he had an answer for right away but try the process of elimination, ie-see if it happens on other papers. So I printed a batch of 6 on 20# bond ("Plain Paper" setting and they were all without drips, then I printed 6 back on the glossy photo (which is 8.5x11 Costco "Kirkland Professional Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper" and they were all clean, too. Maybe the plain paper cleaned something. I dunno.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105086\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
It's the canned glossy photo paper for the letter size. Also using the canned Canon 'iPF5000 Heavyweight Glossy Photo Paper Standard' for that roll paper and never had a problem and I'm happy with the color.
What solved the drip problem for your 8000? Are you suggesting it's necessary to buy custom profiles?
I had posted about drips from my ipf8000 and I was told the most likely cause is the profile. You may search the Epson Yahoo group for drips and it may lead you to the same cause from the many Epson users in the past. What is your profiling software? Is it a canned profile or custom?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=105385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
-
It's the canned glossy photo paper for the letter size. Also using the canned Canon 'iPF5000 Heavyweight Glossy Photo Paper Standard' for that roll paper and never had a problem and I'm happy with the color.
What solved the drip problem for your 8000? Are you suggesting it's necessary to buy custom profiles?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Drips as in overspray are almost always some dust or lint on the wipers in the capping station.
References to profiles could only be overinking to the extreme.
Profiles as in media set ups though can and do cause some problems if the palten height leaves drips go along for the ride from the wipers/capping station.
First palce I'd look is on the heads for a bit of fluff. Access to the wipers may be more difficult. On the HP it's easy but I don't have a Canon to check.