Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: davidh4976 on March 02, 2007, 11:56:58 am

Title: Think Tank International Review
Post by: davidh4976 on March 02, 2007, 11:56:58 am
Michael gave his usual good tips on how to survive getting gear on your flight.

I thought I would mention my experience in using the Think Tank Security bag on Icelandair.  The Security rolling bag is a very slightly bigger version of the International(14x9x22 inches versus 14x8x21).  It didn't make any difference how much it weighed.  The airline ticket counter agent said it was physically too big for carry-on and made me check it.  I took out as much as I could and put it into a smaller, spare collapsible carry-on I had, but my Canon 500mm had to be checked. Argh!  (It arrived, no problem.)

I have since invested in a vest to use like Michael suggests.  Plus, I bought the Glass Taxi from Think Tank.  It is a very small bag that will carry the 500mm.  I think it is the smallest bag that can handle that lens and at 17” H x 8.5” W x 9.5” D
should pass for carry-on even with the small commuter jets.  I won't be checking the 500mm again.

Now, my carry-on baggage consists of a Domke vest, the Glass Taxi, and a small roller (forget the brand name) that can hold laptop/camera/accessories/lenses.

Good luck out there!

David
Title: Think Tank International Review
Post by: Fred Ragland on March 02, 2007, 01:49:14 pm
Quote
Michael gave his usual good tips on how to survive getting gear on your flight...I have since invested in a vest to use like Michael suggests.  Plus, I bought the Glass Taxi from Think Tank.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=104240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've used the Glass Taxi since it came out to fly internationally with my 1DsII gear.  By dividing things up between it and checked baggage I've had no problem even on commuter jets.  The big advantage of the bag Michael used is that it will get on most of the same planes with MF gear included.
Title: Think Tank International Review
Post by: gempaul on March 13, 2007, 06:09:46 am
Was wondering if anyone has checked (purposely) any large lenses, 500-600? What did you package it in?  How did it arrive?

 Michael: your article on the Airport International (http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/international.shtml) didn't mention where you kept the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and 100-400mm f/5.6 L IS.  Did you check these in?

thanks
Stan
Title: Think Tank International Review
Post by: michael on March 13, 2007, 06:50:33 am
The bag held all of my camera gear except the 100-400mm. I loaned this to a friend who was on the trip and he carried it in his bag. We shared its use on the trip.

As for 500 or 600mm fast lenses, I travel with them all the time. Naked. (The lens, not me). Just sling it over your shoulder on its strap. Enough photographers do this that airport security people (at least in large airports) don't even blink at it. Check in counter staff don't know what to make of it so they just ignore it, or ask politely what it is. I explain that it is a $10,000 lens that is too delicate to check, and that's the end of the questions.

This is the way that TV cameraman travel, with their camera naked. It works.

Michael

Ps: This won't work in the Uk where you are only allowed one piece of carry on. They will count the lens, elsewhere they won't.
Title: Think Tank International Review
Post by: boku on March 13, 2007, 08:05:13 am
Quote
The bag held all of my camera gear except the 100-400mm. I loaned this to a friend who was on the trip and he carried it in his bag. We shared its use on the trip.

As for 500 or 600mm fast lenses, I travel with them all the time. Naked. (The lens, not me). Just sling it over your shoulder on its strap. Enough photographers do this that airport security people (at least in large airports) don't even blink at it. Check in counter staff don't know what to make of it so they just ignore it, or ask politely what it is. I explain that it is a $10,000 lens that is too delicate to check, and that's the end of the questions.

This is the way that TV cameraman travel, with their camera naked. It works.

Michael

Ps: This won't work in the Uk where you are only allowed one piece of carry on. They will count the lens, elsewhere they won't.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=106385\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael, when you take the 500 on-board "commando" as you describe, do you use the standard Canon leather "lens cap" and the big hood attached?