Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gardnerdw on February 25, 2007, 05:35:18 pm

Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: gardnerdw on February 25, 2007, 05:35:18 pm
I have an IFP5000 and recently tried Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper with good results.  It is not available in any sized larger than 13x19.  I am looking for an alternative available in rolls.
Any one with any sugestions?

David Gardner
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 25, 2007, 05:39:07 pm
Velvet is my favorite paper. For a paper with a somewhat similar "look" and d-max in rolls, I use Crane Museo Max.
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: Geoff Wittig on February 25, 2007, 07:40:28 pm
Somerset Velvet is quite nice, if you like the velvet texture. I used it almost exclusively for a couple of years on my Epson 7600, before switching to Epson's Ultrasmooth fine art, which I believe is actually made by Crane. The Ultrasmooth paper has less dot gain so images look sharper in the fine details.
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: thompsonkirk on February 25, 2007, 07:46:48 pm
"It is not available in any sized larger than 13x19.  I am looking for an alternative available in rolls."

Actually it's available now in 17x22 sheets.  This is apparently a follow-up on release of the 3800, but good for us iPF5000 users too.  

Kirk
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: BlasR on February 25, 2007, 08:03:06 pm
Look at Hahnemuhle Paper 17x22 or arches smooth digital paper it came in rolls.

BlasR
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 25, 2007, 10:29:16 pm
The reason most people like Velvet is that it has one of the highest Dmax's on the market (it used to be the highest). Though they may not know that fact. They just like the "look". Ultrasmooth  and HPR have a relatively low D-max. Crane Museo Max has a very high D-max, just slightly below Velvet, hence why it has a similar "look".
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: NikosR on February 27, 2007, 10:34:20 am
I think that Epson VFA is made by Somerset. It sure looks similar to Somerset Velvet.
Title: Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper alternative
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 27, 2007, 12:20:55 pm
Velvet is made by Somerset, but has a completely different coating than SV, a unique coating that only Epson owns the rights to. That is why Velvet has a significantly higher D_MAX than SV.