Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 28, 2026, 07:40:52 am

Title: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 28, 2026, 07:40:52 am
Jef Schewe, photographer, author of several books on digital image processing and printing, and a frequent contributor to this site in the past, has passed away from cancer. His expertise will be missed. RIP.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: fdisilvestro on May 28, 2026, 08:31:02 am
Very sad news! I learned so much from his posts and his books. May he rest in peace.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Jonathan Cross on May 28, 2026, 10:30:52 am
Oh gosh. Many photographers have increased their digital photography and print expertise as a result of his work and communications by video, podcasts, books etc. He deserves a big thank you thought and will be much missed.
Jonathan
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: digitaldog on May 28, 2026, 11:27:48 am
As our mutual friend & associate Greg Gorman would call him: "Matzo ball" in action.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Chris Kern on May 28, 2026, 11:35:01 am
Sad news, indeed.  Almost everything I know about Lightroom I learned first from his books, The Digital Negative and The Digital Print, along with his various video tutorials on this site and Kevin Raber's PhotoPXL.

Seth Resnick has a reminiscence here (https://www.facebook.com/seth.resnick.9/posts/i-met-jeff-three-decades-ago-in-1996-when-photoshop-40-arrived-on-the-scene-jeff/10229660653855548/).
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Richard.Wills on May 28, 2026, 01:46:51 pm
I owe so much to this brilliant (and from all I hear) wonderful man.

RIP Jeff.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Randy Carone on May 28, 2026, 03:27:38 pm
Such sad news. Learned so much from him. Here's an image of Jeff from Epson's Print Academy in NYC in 2006. The pillar of the academy. And, as Jeff said, "that's me in the front". He had to make a wisecrack about me shooting Nikon.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 29, 2026, 05:27:24 am
That's very sad news. He had a post on Facebook recently about a diagnosis of lung cancer. I knew him only vaguely but I learned a great deal from his writing.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Mark D Segal on May 29, 2026, 09:35:49 am
Very sorry to hear of Jeff's passing and condolences to his family. Apart from being a genuine person with respectable principles and values, a gentleman, and a superb photographer, Jeff made unique and significant contributions to the progress and teaching of digital imaging from which we are all deriving substantial benefit. He is one of those greats who will reside in our memories.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: KeithR on May 29, 2026, 10:50:13 am
Such sad news. Learned so much from him. Here's an image of Jeff from Epson's Print Academy in NYC in 2006. The pillar of the academy. And, as Jeff said, "that's me in the front". He had to make a wisecrack about me shooting Nikon.
This is extremely sad news, hearing of Jeff's passing. I got to meet Mr. Schewe (as well as Mr. Bruce Fraiser) at an Epson Print Academy in '06 (in Minneapolis) as well. He was demoing with a (new at the time) Epson 4800, explaining Print proofing and talking about this new program called LightRoom. And, I even walked away with one of the prints he made. Over the years I learned a lot from him through his books and tutorials on this site as well as Photo PXL. I will miss his many bits of wisdom and will be forever thankful for making the processes a lot easier to comprehend.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: kers on May 30, 2026, 04:42:00 am
Sad to hear ; also I learned a lot from the print video's he made with Michael.
never met him, but it was obvious there was a lot of character in this man.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Eric Brody on June 01, 2026, 11:00:17 am
I met him only once, in Yosemite at a Charlie Cramer workshop. He showed up with Kevin Raber, another good guy we lost not too long ago.

I have owned and read all his books and his articles. They have been incredibly helpful to me.

He'll live on in his work, missed by many, best to his family.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: francois on June 02, 2026, 10:47:42 am
Sad news, condolence to the family and close friends.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Rob C on June 02, 2026, 03:58:45 pm
One of the original ‘names’ who made LuLa what it was.

R.I.P.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: William Walker on June 04, 2026, 02:20:18 pm
I am very sorry, I learned so much from him.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Ruuduitdegraaf on June 07, 2026, 04:40:57 pm
Very sad to hear. I learned so much from his books and videos.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: sharonvl on June 07, 2026, 05:31:59 pm
I first remember Jeff from the photoshop forums around 2002. He was always helpful to a digital noob like me. I watched the wonderful videos he did here with Michael Reichman at least a million times. Those two, along with Andrew Rodney, taught me how to print. I am forever indebted. See you on the other side, Mr. Schewe.

Sharon
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: timwilson on June 08, 2026, 10:26:53 am
I first remember Jeff from 1983, when I moved to Chicago after grad school, to start working as a freelance photo assistant. Back then, digital photography was still but a glimmer in our eyes. He was young then, but already enormously generous with his time, his energy, his knowledge, his engagement—admired by everyone. I remember being blown away watching him use an airbrush to apply dulling spray just so to a product on set. I remember him excitedly showing off his new Commodore 64 (I think it was) months before Macintosh was a thing. Even then, he was pioneering ways to harness digital tech in his studio. And it only grew from there, as we know. I remember him well. He'll be greatly missed.

Tim
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Chris Kern on June 13, 2026, 06:45:38 pm
Fascinating review of Jeff Schewe's career by the man himself with Amanda Smith and Kevin Tully of the Amanda Smith Gallery in Johnson City, Texas, in this video interview (https://youtu.be/H1cVyrk_Rhw?si=19D1VbsYWx5Fxwh5) on the occasion of the gallery's 2024 retrospective of his work, during which he discusses his transition from commercial to fine art photography.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: jneufferjr on July 12, 2026, 11:54:01 pm
Fascinating review of Jeff Schewe's career by the man himself with Amanda Smith and Kevin Tully of the Amanda Smith Gallery in Johnson City, Texas, in this video interview (https://youtu.be/H1cVyrk_Rhw?si=19D1VbsYWx5Fxwh5) on the occasion of the gallery's 2024 retrospective of his work, during which he discusses his transition from commercial to fine art photography.

Watching the video now; thanks for sharing it.
Title: Re: Jeff Schewe Passed Away
Post by: Rob C on August 28, 2026, 11:29:40 am
Just watched this now, too.

He doesn’t come across, in this video, at all as I’d imagined him from his writing in LuLa.