Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Street Showcase => Topic started by: KLaban on April 03, 2026, 01:37:51 pm

Title: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 03, 2026, 01:37:51 pm
I’ve started a new thread here, Morocco 2, where I’ll be posting some new images from our latest trip to Morocco in March 2026. Once again Morocco is a source of inspiration and frustration in equal measure, simply the most difficult country we’ve encountered for photographing people, many of whom believe that a photograph can impinge on their soul. The images are shot on and of the streets.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Palm_Man.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 04, 2026, 04:19:42 am
Another alternative capture of the same subject, this one titled Catnaps.

I think I prefer this the second capture as it tells more of a story but I'd love to hear opinions of others here.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Sleepers.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: francois on April 06, 2026, 05:38:29 am
Superb and I like them both although I have a slight preference for the second one. With the first version, I feel like you're hidden behind the palm tree and try to get the shot. The attitude of the man in the second one is also more appropriate (I lack a better word here - sorry).

Anyway, bravo for both versions, Keith.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 06, 2026, 06:16:44 am
Superb and I like them both although I have a slight preference for the second one. With the first version, I feel like you're hidden behind the palm tree and try to get the shot. The attitude of the man in the second one is also more appropriate (I lack a better word here - sorry).

Anyway, bravo for both versions, Keith.

Thanks, Francois. I tend to agree with you, I prefer the second shot.

Once again, the small web versions fail to show important details, in this case particularly on the cat.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: francois on April 07, 2026, 11:28:02 am
You're right, the cat is almost invisible on the posted shots. I tend to "come back" many times on a photo and didn't notice him until my second "visit".
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 07, 2026, 07:26:34 pm
Only the shadow knows !
The palms grabbed my eye first, then the caftan.
The cat was holding down the palm shadow !
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 08, 2026, 03:10:44 am
Only the shadow knows !
The palms grabbed my eye first, then the caftan.
The cat was holding down the palm shadow !

Thanks.

Unfortunately the cat was important to make any sense of my title Catnaps, plural. Perhaps the image really needs to be viewed full size and on a large screen, to appreciate the title? 
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 08, 2026, 07:51:22 am
Perhaps.
To me at least, my first thought was about the relationship/symbolism of the palms and the man with the architecture as a canvas.
The cat is rather well hidden in the tones and coloration.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 08, 2026, 09:38:19 am
Perhaps.
To me at least, my first thought was about the relationship/symbolism of the palms and the man with the architecture as a canvas.
The cat is rather well hidden in the tones and coloration.

Yes, perhaps I'm placing too much importance on my rather arbitrary title and need to accept the image as it is and how others see it?
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 08, 2026, 09:41:31 am
i like the title and the vision. i wish the cat was a stronger element in the image.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 08, 2026, 10:36:44 am
i like the title and the vision. i wish the cat was a stronger element in the image.

So do I.

Cats, love 'em, but they're so fickle!
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 12, 2026, 05:09:35 pm
Butchery at a Berber market in Morocco.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Butchery.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: francois on April 14, 2026, 04:40:30 am
Another wonderful shot. I like the men looking left & right. There's also a nice similarity between the color on the wall and the pieces of meat. The hidden hand (on the left) is mysterious.

Well seen and done, again.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 14, 2026, 06:17:39 am
Another wonderful shot. I like the men looking left & right. There's also a nice similarity between the color on the wall and the pieces of meat. The hidden hand (on the left) is mysterious.

Well seen and done, again.

Thanks, francois.

The need for anonymity and stealth in these difficult situations can lead to happy accidents. I have to admit the hand and the string emanating from the mouth of the seated subject were a bonus, unseen until I came to process the file.

Happy days!
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 17, 2026, 05:07:03 am
Ladies in Waiting, Morocco.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Ladies_in_Waiting.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 17, 2026, 09:36:02 am
... and that darn cat !  ;D ;)
You may have a series going here....
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 17, 2026, 10:16:22 am
... and that darn cat !  ;D ;)
You may have a series going here....

They're shady creatures!
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: francois on April 21, 2026, 04:40:13 am
Yes, the cat is still there ;-)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 23, 2026, 06:49:50 am
Nosy.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Nosy.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 23, 2026, 08:00:49 pm
charming !
Would make a good greeting card .
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: francois on April 24, 2026, 04:02:08 am
Clean and nice…
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 25, 2026, 05:15:16 am
Goatherd, Berber market, Morocco.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Goatherd.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: degrub on April 25, 2026, 07:12:58 am
great image !
Just a nitpik - i might go after the hot spot on the goat's head.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on April 25, 2026, 08:53:22 am
great image !
Just a nitpik - i might go after the hot spot on the goat's head.

Thanks. Yes I did ponder it, but decided to leave the goat and the goatherd's hot spots alone.
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on May 06, 2026, 09:40:32 am
On a Break, Morocco.

(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/On_a_Break.jpg)
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on May 06, 2026, 12:16:21 pm
wonderful - and quite funny
Title: Re: Morocco 2
Post by: KLaban on May 07, 2026, 04:01:58 am
wonderful - and quite funny

Chris, many thanks.