Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Chris Kern on March 29, 2026, 02:01:49 pm

Title: It's Official!
Post by: Chris Kern on March 29, 2026, 02:01:49 pm
The International Standards Organization this month published Adobe's Digital Negative format as the international standard for raw image capture (https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/en/#iso:std:iso:12234:-4:ed-1:v1:en).  I don't know whether this will induce more camera manufacturers to migrate from their proprietary raw formats to DNG, but if they did it would certainly simplify the process of supporting recently-introduced cameras by raw conversion software and, I suspect, encourage the development of new image-editing tools.  It would also increase the archival potential of raw images; I know from conversations in the past with representatives of the U.S. National Archives that one of the greatest obstacles to the preservation of digital data formats is the continued availability of commercial products that are capable of decoding them.
Title: Re: It's Official!
Post by: digitaldog on March 29, 2026, 03:01:04 pm
I don't know whether this will induce more camera manufacturers to migrate from their proprietary raw formats to DNG...
I wish it would, but I'm not holding my breath. Pressure from customers? That might work.