Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: [email protected] on March 27, 2026, 04:50:54 pm

Title: New to Using Hardware Calibrated Monitor
Post by: [email protected] on March 27, 2026, 04:50:54 pm
I have a new Asus Pro-Art monitor that came with an iDisplay Pro for hardware calibration.  I have downloaded the Asus calibration software and watched the videos and I am now ready to run a calibration.

My question is what happens after the calibration?  I am used to using SpyderX to calibrate my display and the Datacolor software took care of things for the editing apps.

How does Photoshop or Lightroom interact with a hardware calibrated display.  This is new territory for me and the videos I have watched do not give any after calibration instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Title: Re: New to Using Hardware Calibrated Monitor
Post by: digitaldog on March 27, 2026, 05:31:38 pm
Instead of a LUT altering the display behavior (calibration), the panel is doing this while PS/LR still uses the ICC display profile to 'know' about this condition to produce previews. Basically, nothing is different from the last process as far as you are concerned, but there's greater precision in the calibration taking place in the hardware vs. using software from the LUT. And you're using a MUCH better instrument (the Spyders are not so great). There is nothing more you have to do once you calibrate at the desired (which is ideal) calibration aim-points.
Title: Re: New to Using Hardware Calibrated Monitor
Post by: [email protected] on March 27, 2026, 09:03:03 pm
Thank you so much for the information.  I read that the calibration software puts an ICC profile into the operating system for the monitor, but I was not sure if I had to do anything to make PS or LR use that ICC. 

How often do you recommend updating the calibration?
Title: Re: New to Using Hardware Calibrated Monitor
Post by: digitaldog on March 27, 2026, 09:09:33 pm
I do mine once a month.
Title: Re: New to Using Hardware Calibrated Monitor
Post by: [email protected] on March 28, 2026, 11:29:45 am
Thanks for the help!