Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Czornyj on March 13, 2026, 12:38:40 pm
-
In the latest Tahoe 26.3.1 system update, Apple added support for the Display Plus HL colorimeter (rev. C and D) in the Apple Pro Display Calibrator utility.
Users of MacBook Pro 14/16 Retina XDR and Apple Display Studio/Pro Display XDR models now have the ability to hardware-calibrate their displays 3DLUT using an inexpensive colorimeter (previously calibration required the use of Photo Research or Colorimetry Research spectroradiometers, priced at over $10,000).
FWIW, I verified the accuracy of the calibration procedure effect (duration: approximately 2 hours, including a 30-minute warm-up period) using a JETI specbos 1211 spectroradiometer and it works as expected:)
-
Cool!
-
Cool indeed.
Honest question: why do you have a JETI specbos 1211 spectroradiometer? I know you are good, but that is next next level.
-
Cool indeed.
Honest question: why do you have a JETI specbos 1211 spectroradiometer? I know you are good, but that is next next level.
I just found an used one dirt cheap on ebay and couldn’t resist :)
-
Does it only support the HL versions? I could answer this question myself a little later, but I've gotta wait for a system update--
*Edit: It is indeed only the Display Plus HL version that is supported. My regular Display Pro was not recognized-- I guess they want to be sure you have a device that is certified up to the full nittage available.
-
FWIW, I verified the accuracy of the calibration procedure effect
Have you tested or evaluated either the new Apple 2026 Studio Display or the Studio Display XDR?
-
I just found an used one dirt cheap on ebay and couldn’t resist :)
I understand completely.
Good find!
-
Have you tested or evaluated either the new Apple 2026 Studio Display or the Studio Display XDR?
Not yet, but expect them to be flawless like all recent Apple displays, and of course they also feature the above mentioned calibration procedure.
-
Not yet, but expect them to be flawless like all recent Apple displays, and of course they also feature the above mentioned calibration procedure.
What about this pup? It's down from $1999 to 1,499 on Amazon: https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa27dce-k/
And yet the ASUS ProArt Display 27” 5K HDR Professional Monitor (PA27JCV) is still half that. You think the OLED/HDR is worth the extra $$?
-
What about this pup? It's down from $1999 to 1,499 on Amazon: https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-oled-pa27dce-k/
And yet the ASUS ProArt Display 27” 5K HDR Professional Monitor (PA27JCV) is still half that. You think the OLED/HDR is worth the extra $$?
I really like HDR and think it's really most interesting breakthrough, but this OLED is SDR rather than HDR. It only has 350cd/m^2 brightness (which may be less in reality due to pumping), while ASD XDR has 2000cd/m^2. On the other hand ASD XDR has only 2304 dimming zones which is quite disappointing, considering that MBP 16" has 10,000 mini-LEDs grouped into 2554 dimming zones.
There's an interesting Tandem OLED technology (used e.g. in iPad Pro) that achieves high brightness for HDR editing, so I'd rather look for something with such panel rather than that pricy ASUS. Some gaming monitors can be suprisingly accurate, for example LG UltraGear series are even supported by LG Calibration Studio hardware calibration software (unfortunatelly for now they only have QHD Tandem OLED available).
There were also problems with OLED burn-in, causing uniformity issues after short period of time: