Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: eronald on February 06, 2026, 09:22:23 am

Title: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 06, 2026, 09:22:23 am
https://photoandcolor.com/profile-drying-effect-a-tale-of-patchtool.html

And even for prople who don't run their own profiles: If you print anything, eg. a Colorchecker, with a perfectly profile, it still won't be spot on after an hour. Ink needs to dry/

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Rob C on February 06, 2026, 10:58:46 am
https://photoandcolor.com/profile-drying-effect-a-tale-of-patchtool.html

And even for prople who don't run their own profiles: If you print anything, eg. a Colorchecker, with a perfectly profile, it still won't be spot on after an hour. Ink needs to dry/

Edmund

So did wet darkroom colour prints. Progres…
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 06, 2026, 12:21:33 pm
So did wet darkroom colour prints. Progres…

Been a long time. Incredible web site you have there ...

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: digitaldog on February 06, 2026, 12:38:52 pm
Old, but maybe worth repeating (as depending on the inks YMMV):

ExpPremiumXP620_ETC1728_UltraPremGlossy first measurement compared to 1 hour later:

dE Report
Number of Samples: 1728
Delta-E Formula dE2000
Overall - (1728 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   1.07
Max dE:   8.59
Min dE:   0.04
StdDev dE:   0.90

Best 90% - (1554 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   0.84
Max dE:   2.06
Min dE:   0.04
StdDev dE:   0.45

Worst 10% - (174 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   3.19
Max dE:   8.59
Min dE:   2.06
StdDev dE:   1.14
--------------------------------------------------

ExpPremiumXP620_ETC1728_UltraPremGlossy 2nd measurement (1 hour dry down) compared to 24 hours later:

dE Report
Number of Samples: 1728
Delta-E Formula dE2000
Overall - (1728 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   0.21
Max dE:   0.95
Min dE:   0.01
StdDev dE:   0.12

Best 90% - (1554 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   0.18
Max dE:   0.35
Min dE:   0.01
StdDev dE:   0.08

Worst 10% - (174 colors)
--------------------------------------------------
Average dE:   0.45
Max dE:   0.95
Min dE:   0.35
StdDev dE:   0.11
--------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Rhossydd on February 07, 2026, 03:20:33 am
Ink needs to dry/

Hardly a new insight. We were testing this and reporting back on the issue 25 years ago.
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: kers on February 07, 2026, 04:15:26 am
Nice Blog Edmund!

With my important papers I let them dry for a day or three before i measure them. Just to be sure.

Since my printer has very stable pigments i can indeed print a Colorchecker... saves another 100$
but am still using the old 25 years old one.

regards, Pieter




Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Czornyj on February 07, 2026, 06:52:21 am
https://photoandcolor.com/profile-drying-effect-a-tale-of-patchtool.html

And even for prople who don't run their own profiles: If you print anything, eg. a Colorchecker, with a perfectly profile, it still won't be spot on after an hour. Ink needs to dry/

Edmund

True for dye inks, but pigment inks are much more stable.
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Kyle Jackson on February 07, 2026, 08:46:37 am

Posted this a while back... Z3200 gamut volume contraction between 30 mins and 4 hrs.

If I stare at the print I can literally see it happening... 🧐 🤭🤣
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 07, 2026, 03:40:54 pm
Nice Blog Edmund!

With my important papers I let them dry for a day or three before i measure them. Just to be sure.

Since my printer has very stable pigments i can indeed print a Colorchecker... saves another 100$
but am still using the old 25 years old one.

regards, Pieter

Thank you very much - as a blogger I aim to entertain as much as to inform - I too have a very old one. The reference colors have changed a bit as they changed materials in 2014. See https://babelcolor.com/colorchecker.htm (https://babelcolor.com/colorchecker.htm).

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 07, 2026, 03:41:47 pm
Posted this a while back... Z3200 gamut volume contraction between 30 mins and 4 hrs.

If I stare at the print I can literally see it happening... 🧐 🤭🤣
That's what I call a graphic demonstration :)
You did it with Colorthink?

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: digitaldog on February 07, 2026, 03:47:48 pm
Hardly a new insight. We were testing this and reporting back on the issue 25 years ago.
Well, around this forum, certainly 2014:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93661.msg764106#msg764106
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 07, 2026, 10:35:18 pm
Well, around this forum, certainly 2014:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93661.msg764106#msg764106

Andrew,

Good catch!  And so, if Xrite happen to be prepping a successor for the iSis, this might be the right time to say we would appreciate a  new and improved chart-eater/reader that
- accepts thicker media
- does not damage the media and contaminate its own re-measurements
- switches off its status light during measurements  if this is near the measure zone.
- has easily cleaned optics.

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: digitaldog on February 07, 2026, 10:43:58 pm
Andrew,

Good catch!  And so, if Xrite happen to be prepping a successor for the iSis, this might be the right time to say we would appreciate a  new and improved chart-eater/reader that
- accepts thicker media
- does not damage the media and contaminate its own re-measurements
- switches off its status light during measurements  if this is near the measure zone.
- has easily cleaned optics.
Edmund

Go for it!
https://www.xrite.com/contact-us/contact-us-form
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 08, 2026, 12:45:30 am
Go for it!
https://www.xrite.com/contact-us/contact-us-form

I think I'll add comes with a storage box.

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on February 08, 2026, 10:07:41 am
Well, around this forum, certainly 2014:
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=93661.msg764106#msg764106

Andrew,

Have you gone down the polarisation rabbithole?
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=128081.0

The wet/dry shift might just be instrument geometry related and not human perceived

Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: digitaldog on February 08, 2026, 11:33:04 am
Andrew,

Have you gone down the polarisation rabbithole?
Easy to avoid such rabbit holes; just pay attention to Steve Upton.
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Kyle Jackson on February 09, 2026, 09:05:36 am
That's what I call a graphic demonstration :)
You did it with Colorthink?

That was GamutVision. I use it to display, examine, and compare profiles.

Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Rob C on August 29, 2026, 05:42:07 pm
Been a long time. Incredible web site you have there ...

Edmund


Hello Edmund - thanks for the website comment; it - the website - came into being because when my wife died, I had to find something to fill my mind and convince/remind? myself that I had once had a busy photographic life. Also, as I’d been spending quite a lot of time online, it occurred to me that I had really better try to get a visible presence to back up what I was writing about photography… even back then, I was aware that with the internet on tap, it was possible for folks to write superficially convincingly about any topic that came along; Google created a lot of three-minute experts.

A secondary function, which has grown in importance for me, is that a website provides a very convenient way of viewing and storing my own photographs without having to open the computer: all I need do is look at the iPad.

Thanks again for the kind comment!
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on September 03, 2026, 11:49:14 pm

Hello Edmund - thanks for the website comment; it - the website - came into being because when my wife died, I had to find something to fill my mind and convince/remind? myself that I had once had a busy photographic life. Also, as I’d been spending quite a lot of time online, it occurred to me that I had really better try to get a visible presence to back up what I was writing about photography… even back then, I was aware that with the internet on tap, it was possible for folks to write superficially convincingly about any topic that came along; Google created a lot of three-minute experts.

A secondary function, which has grown in importance for me, is that a website provides a very convenient way of viewing and storing my own photographs without having to open the computer: all I need do is look at the iPad.

Thanks again for the kind comment!

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your wife.
The problem with websites is that they need constant care like a garden.
On the other hand they do materialize one's "brand"

It's unbelievable to what extent curating one's brand has become an essential part of social life.

Edmund
Edmund
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Rob C on September 04, 2026, 06:07:35 am
Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear about your wife.
The problem with websites is that they need constant care like a garden.
On the other hand they do materialize one's "brand"

It's unbelievable to what extent curating one's brand has become an essential part of social life.

Edmund
Edmund


The only escape is to avoid social media which, thankfully, didn't exist when I was working! It would have driven me nuts.

Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: eronald on September 09, 2026, 12:36:36 am
The only escape is to avoid social media which, thankfully, didn't exist when I was working! It would have driven me nuts.

Soon everyone will have their ImageBot posting on social media, and no one wants to look at anyone else's ImageBot :)
Title: Re: Turns out it pays to watch paint dry :)
Post by: Rob C on September 09, 2026, 06:48:33 am
Soon everyone will have their ImageBot posting on social media, and no one wants to look at anyone else's ImageBot :)

A kind of silence of the lambs, then. Or screams in space.