Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Graham Mitchell on February 01, 2007, 10:31:58 pm

Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on February 01, 2007, 10:31:58 pm
Is anyone able to show me a sample taken with a Schneider Digitar 28mm lens? Would be appreciated!
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: rethmeier on February 02, 2007, 12:04:32 am
Graham,
the Schneider 28/2.8 L Digitar ($1850 USD) is basically the same as the Schneider 28/2.8 PC lens for 35 camera systems.

On Medium format it's not that good from what I've heard.

The Rodenstock 28/4 HR is far superior,hence it's price($4800 USD)

Cheers,

Willem.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.ph...t_detail&p=1506 (http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1506)

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.ph...t_detail&p=1972 (http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1972)
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: rainer_v on February 02, 2007, 05:29:26 am
so it is....

best lenses are i.m.o. the rodenstock / sinar 28 + 35HR in this range.
but the schneider  digitars 24+35 are a completely differenet lense calculation also.
especially the distortion on the schneiders 28 digitar ( and also on the 28PC for 35mm )  is not acceptable......
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on February 02, 2007, 08:27:23 am
I keep hearing bad reports about the 28mm but I'd still like to see it for myself.
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Christopher Arnoldi on February 02, 2007, 12:34:06 pm
I tested the Schneider Digitar 28 mm 2 years ago with my Sinarback 54H on the Sinar p3. The Imagecircle is calculated for 24 x 36, and in that dimensions the lens is not bad. On the edges at the 49 mm x 37 mm Sensor the quality of course is bad.

Please download the original file under www.arnoldi-design.com/Test28mmSchneider.cs1.zip and process it with Captureshop 4 or 5 (available under www.sinar.ch)
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on February 06, 2007, 01:55:12 pm
Christopher, thanks for that sample. Very helpful!
Title: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: free1000 on February 06, 2007, 05:35:38 pm
Sorry I can't help with a sample because I deleted it. I can tell you what I found however.

I bought this lens then returned it because I didn't like its 'moustache distortion' which was very exaggerated. No good for architectural subjects.

I shot the lens on a Cambo Ultima 35 with a Canon 1DsII, this allows view camera movements with the Canon and the 28mm digitar.

The lack of regularity with the distortion meant that you couldnt use rise or shift, as it became far too troublesome to reverse the distortion...
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: cyron123 on December 18, 2014, 07:06:38 am
Hello,
could anybody send me some Pictures made from this lens, please? I am interessted in this. Thank you.
Best
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: torger on December 18, 2014, 07:16:05 am
The old 28/2.8 or the new 28/5.6?
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Paul2660 on December 18, 2014, 07:39:18 am
Graham, if it's the newer version of the tech camera lens here is a great review done by getdpi.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/lens-accessory-reviews/34991-rodenstock-28mm-hr-vs-schneider-super-digitar-28xl.html (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/lens-accessory-reviews/34991-rodenstock-28mm-hr-vs-schneider-super-digitar-28xl.html)

Paul
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: cyron123 on December 18, 2014, 08:40:02 am
The old one please
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: [email protected] on December 18, 2014, 05:55:41 pm
Mine was a very very bad lens. I tried to use it on a Cambo X2Pro and a Ultima 35 with Nikon D2X + D3.
I gave this lens at minimum 20 chances and it always failed. I couldn't believe
that a Schneider Lens can be so weak.
It was not sharp, had zero stray light resistance and a strong distortion.
I will check tomorrow if I can find some examples, but I think I didn't archive
the pictures where you can see it's weakness and it's also long time ago.
But believe me, it's not worth trying......this lens has no correlation to the 24 + 35 digitars.

Ben
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: cyron123 on December 19, 2014, 03:43:47 pm
Hi Ben,
i have the digitar 35mm and i like it. And you think the 24mm is better too? OK?!? This is very interesseting for me.
Thank you.
cyron
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: Doug Peterson on December 19, 2014, 04:27:10 pm
The Schneider 35XL and 24XL have no relationship to the old Schneider 28.

(not to be confused with the Schneider 28LS for the Phase One DF+ (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/leaf-shutter-lenses) or the new Schneider 28 XL Super Digitar for tech cameras (https://digitaltransitions.com/page/tech-camera-overview))
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: [email protected] on December 20, 2014, 04:47:40 am
Hi Ben,
i have the digitar 35mm and i like it. And you think the 24mm is better too? OK?!? This is very interesseting for me.
Thank you.
cyron

Cyron
I don't think the 24 mm is better as the 35 mm.
Both are on the same level. I like both.
24 has a smaller image circle what means 1-2 mm movement with a 37 x 49 mm Sensor.
But that's out of topic.......
Ben
Title: Re: Schneider Digitar 28mm sample?
Post by: chrismuc on December 22, 2014, 08:00:57 am
I sometimes use a Schneider (Leica Version) 28f2.8 PC with modified lens mount on a Contax 645 or FPS camera with a 54x40mm back (before P65+, now IQ180).

I uploaded a pic for your reference (P65+ at f11).

First is jpg from raw, second one additionally Alpa lens correction applied (I modified the Alpa correction file for that lens and adapted it for P65+ and IQ180 backs) which reduces geometrical distortion but not completely removes it.
 
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18437364/pictures/CF006354-P65%2BS28f2.8PC.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18437364/pictures/CF006354-P65%2BS28f2.8PC-AlpaLensCor.jpg

The lens does not cover completely the 54x40mm back but cropped by about 10% it would quite nicely cover 44x33mm, 48x36mm and 49x37mm backs.