Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: KLaban on December 21, 2025, 04:10:20 am
-
Three Wise Creatures. Season's greetings to all and may all your shots be keepers!
(https://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Three_Wise_Creatures.jpg)
-
All the best to you and yours, Keith!
My best news - not! - is that my friendly local will be closed from the 24th December until the 7th January… why do bar owners want time off too? I will be condemned to making my own coffee for all that time; such selfishness in a season of stress! It’s not known when the alternative one will decide to go, as a family, back to the mainland. Some things are beyond comprehension. ;-)
-
And all the very best to you, Rob.
I'm fed up with paying five quid for meh coffees, I'd rather put a capsule in our Nespresso machine and enjoy it for what it is. The best coffee I've ever had was in some of the local's back street bars in Venice and surprisingly good value.
-
Coffee prices. My local, for a white coffee, charges 1.35 euros. The alternative place I sometimes visit is 1.60 euros for the same white coffee. A few weeks ago I had to visit a hospital in Palma, and there I was charged 2.20 euros for that coffee.
I remember, years ago, visiting Whitestone’s, the book people, in Glasgow, and being horrified that a coffee there was a quid! How quaint that feels today.
-
Coffee prices. My local, for a white coffee, charges 1.35 euros. The alternative place I sometimes visit is 1.60 euros for the same white coffee. A few weeks ago I had to visit a hospital in Palma, and there I was charged 2.20 euros for that coffee.
I remember, years ago, visiting Whitestone’s, the book people, in Glasgow, and being horrified that a coffee there was a quid! How quaint that feels today.
In Guildford in the UK, coffee has gone stratospheric. Now £4.15 for a regular size!
Jonathan
-
My wife and I used to frequent an old red telephone box, repurposed as a coffee outlet, just off the main thoroughfare in Guildford. Great coffee and often manned by a fascinating East European guy who was also studying mathematics at the university.
Small world, strange world.
-
In Guildford in the UK, coffee has gone stratospheric. Now £4.15 for a regular size!
Jonathan
That's because the cost of energy in the UK is so high as a result of its obsessive Net Zero CO2 emissions policy. ;)