Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: dpelchat on January 31, 2007, 03:19:06 pm

Title: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Questions
Post by: dpelchat on January 31, 2007, 03:19:06 pm
Hi everyone, this is my very first post... I am still quite a newbie in photography !

I have a Rebel XYT and just bought this IS lens used, but I don't have the owner's manual.

I can't see much difference between pictures taken with IS on or off, so me thinks I must not know how to use it. I'm using it just like any other lens I own. I usually use my camera in "P" mode without flash.

Should I see, feel or hear anything different when I use my lens ? Many thanks in advance !
Title: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Questions
Post by: John Sheehy on January 31, 2007, 04:20:56 pm
Quote
Should I see, feel or hear anything different when I use my lens ? Many thanks in advance !
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You should hear/feel a faint sound after the shutter button is half-way depressed, and another one about a second after you let go of the shutter button.

As far as images are concerned, you're only going to see differences in cases when the IS actually serves a purpose.  For the 135mm end of the zoom, you should see benefits slightly when the shutter speed is about 1/200, and quite distictly when the shutter speed gets slower than 1/100, down to around about 1/25, where they will be much sharper with than without the IS.  If you're shooting in sunlight, and/or at high ISOs, it is much less likely that it will make a difference, as the shutter speed may already be 1/200 or faster.  Also, IS works best after it has been engaged for a fraction of a second; pressing the shutter button all at once to take a picture will not reap the benefits of IS as well.  If you're not already doing so, get in the habit of having the shutter half-pressed while composing your image; it will use more battery, but the camera will always be more ready (and you shake the camera less taking the exposure when the shutter is already half-pressed).
Title: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Questions
Post by: DarkPenguin on January 31, 2007, 04:39:50 pm
If you wobble the camera around your eye you should see the effect.
Title: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Questions
Post by: dpelchat on January 31, 2007, 05:11:30 pm
Thanks for the replies. I also found this link in one of the forums...

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=28-135IS (http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=28-135IS)

Is this the complete manual ?

Many thanks again !
Title: EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Questions
Post by: Music Man5 on February 06, 2007, 08:11:37 am
Quote
Thanks for the replies. I also found this link in one of the forums...

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=28-135IS (http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=28-135IS)

Is this the complete manual ?

Many thanks again !
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd say it was. Not sure where my manual is for this lens but this appears to be complete.