Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 07:40:49 am

Title: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 07:40:49 am
Suppose you're a budding landscape photographer. Your dream is to travel the world running photography workshops. Someone offers you their entire portfolio and allows you to do what you like.

Would you reprocess those images adding your style to the image and your watermark.
Bare in mind these images are going to be used to sell workshops. The locations may not even be places you've been to.

Do you think this is just the way to do business?

I'm eager to hear opinions.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: Rob C on November 24, 2025, 09:22:26 am
How can you use somebody else’s pictures and use them to flog your services?

It could well be that I’ve misunderstood your intention, but if you are just a “budding” aka novice landscape photographer, how do you square offering a service that would reasonably assume existing expertise on your part as its validity, with admitting you don’t already posses that expected level of experience?

I suggest you’re putting carts before horses and need to give this a little more thought?
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on November 24, 2025, 09:38:36 am
It is neither ethical nor sensible but a recipe for trouble
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 24, 2025, 10:08:40 am
Since this is apparently a hypothetical scenario, I hypothetically hope the person ends up in jail.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: Rob C on November 24, 2025, 10:15:02 am
Since this is apparently a hypothetical scenario, I hypothetically hope the person ends up in jail.

But not, I’d add, a hypothetical jail.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 03:56:34 pm
How can you use somebody else’s pictures and use them to flog your services?

It could well be that I’ve misunderstood your intention, but if you are just a “budding” aka novice landscape photographer, how do you square offering a service that would reasonably assume existing expertise on your part as its validity, with admitting you don’t already posses that expected level of experience?

I suggest you’re putting carts before horses and need to give this a little more thought?
Believe it or not but I've been running a social experiment. I gave years of my work to someone and this is precisely what they are doing. That very person has uploaded my images today using their edits and their watermark. I don't care about the photos as I was about to wipe my hard drive. It was purely an experiment to prove to myself the depths that some people will go to. I've enjoyed my years behind the lens, but I've decided to move on as there are far too many 'fake it till you make it' types out there.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 03:56:51 pm
How can you use somebody else’s pictures and use them to flog your services?

It could well be that I’ve misunderstood your intention, but if you are just a “budding” aka novice landscape photographer, how do you square offering a service that would reasonably assume existing expertise on your part as its validity, with admitting you don’t already posses that expected level of experience?

I suggest you’re putting carts before horses and need to give this a little more thought?
Believe it or not but I've been running a social experiment. I gave years of my work to someone and this is precisely what they are doing. That very person has uploaded my images today using their edits and their watermark. I don't care about the photos as I was about to wipe my hard drive. It was purely an experiment to prove to myself the depths that some people will go to. I've enjoyed my years behind the lens, but I've decided to move on as there are far too many 'fake it till you make it' types out there.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 03:57:08 pm
It is neither ethical nor sensible but a recipe for trouble
Believe it or not but I've been running a social experiment. I gave years of my work to someone and this is precisely what they are doing. That very person has uploaded my images today using their edits and their watermark. I don't care about the photos as I was about to wipe my hard drive. It was purely an experiment to prove to myself the depths that some people will go to. I've enjoyed my years behind the lens, but I've decided to move on as there are far too many 'fake it till you make it' types out there.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 24, 2025, 03:57:27 pm
Since this is apparently a hypothetical scenario, I hypothetically hope the person ends up in jail.
Believe it or not but I've been running a social experiment. I gave years of my work to someone and this is precisely what they are doing. That very person has uploaded my images today using their edits and their watermark. I don't care about the photos as I was about to wipe my hard drive. It was purely an experiment to prove to myself the depths that some people will go to. I've enjoyed my years behind the lens, but I've decided to move on as there are far too many 'fake it till you make it' types out there.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: PeterAit on November 25, 2025, 06:41:06 pm
I call BS. From the first post this whole thread screams malarkey.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: sanfairyanne on November 26, 2025, 08:23:11 am
I call BS. From the first post this whole thread screams malarkey.

Peter I can assure you this is happening. I add a screenshot from WhatSapp, not that that is in itself proof but I can't give you a link to the person's social media. I felt that I wanted to talk about this because I think people should be aware that when they go on a workshop they really need to ask questions beforehand. I personally think the entire workshop industry needs some sort of regulating as there's way too many sharks out there.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: KLaban on November 26, 2025, 08:45:27 am
Move along people, nothing to see here.
Title: Re: Is this ethical...
Post by: Rob C on November 26, 2025, 09:26:31 am
I call BS. From the first post this whole thread screams malarkey.

+ 100%.