Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: William Walker on November 21, 2025, 05:50:41 am

Title: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: William Walker on November 21, 2025, 05:50:41 am
These marks appeared on a print and at first glance look like sensor stains, but, they are certainly not visible in Lightroom…(see image 1)

I made a second print and the same kind of marks appeared again - but not in the same places!

The paper is Canson Baryta Photographique and it must be at least six or seven years old - could it be something to do with the paper’s age?
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on November 21, 2025, 06:21:13 am
Could it be a coating issue ?
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Kyle Jackson on November 21, 2025, 09:56:52 am

What printer?

Does it happen on all prints?

Could it be dust or debris on the paper before / during printing? (For example HP Z series drop debris flakes when the belts are wearing out).

Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: mcbroomf on November 21, 2025, 01:25:56 pm
Black ink popping off the surface?  Get a high power loupe and flashlight and inspect the marks very closely.
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: William Walker on November 22, 2025, 04:06:05 am
Black ink popping off the surface?  Get a high power loupe and flashlight and inspect the marks very closely.

This is on a Canon Pro-4100.

Thank you Simon, Kyle and Mike…I opened a new box of the same paper and reprinted this morning - perfect!

Something must have happened to the opened box. I am pretty sure I got both boxes at the same time, so maybe it has something to do with being unsealed.

Perhaps it is the coating Simon…?
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Kyle Jackson on November 22, 2025, 09:48:54 am

You're thinking it's damage to the surface coating of the paper before it was printed? Might see them on other sheets then before printing. Maybe only top sheet in the stack was affected. Some silverfish had the munchies or something...  :o

Really difficult to tell from the photos tho.

Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: William Walker on November 23, 2025, 03:18:49 am
Right!

This is the most embarrassing thing I have to admit to... ::)

I printed on the wrong side!!!

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for all the suggestions!
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: kers on November 23, 2025, 05:29:09 am
Great to admit your mistake!

it can happen! to me too... especially with some matte papers with sides almost alike...
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Simon J.A. Simpson on November 24, 2025, 02:46:54 pm
Right!

This is the most embarrassing thing I have to admit to... ::)

I printed on the wrong side!!!

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for all the suggestions!
So it was the coating then :-))
Done this too. May be we should start a support group !
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: William Walker on November 25, 2025, 04:46:20 am
So it was the coating then :-))
Done this too. May be we should start a support group !

The funny thing is that there were obviously a few other indicators - the sharpness and detail - but I was so distracted by the marks that it never dawned on me!

I am getting old!
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Frans Waterlander on November 25, 2025, 11:53:38 am

I am getting old!

Which is much better than the alternative!
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: Kyle Jackson on November 25, 2025, 02:34:24 pm

Haha I've done this too! For replacing belts on Z3100/Z3200, a "kit" sold by LPS includes a sheet of "film" to do a paper advance calibration. It's such an odd media I swear I printed on the backside once!  ;D 

(Incidentally I've also since learned the film in that LPS kit is a waste of money/time as it doesn't do what LPS seems to suggest it does, because the paper advance calibration is unique for each media type in the Z-series.)
Title: Re: Strange Marks on Print
Post by: William Walker on November 29, 2025, 07:29:52 am
As a continuation of the original problem…is it normal for there to be so much ink - on the left and right sides of the paper - in the "Borderless Printing Ink Grooves”? Even after a small print?

The photos show the “Grooves” and the amount of ink from dabbing some tissue paper over it.

This is on a Canon Pro-4100.

Thanks!