Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gchappel on November 16, 2025, 10:21:53 am
-
I love large prints-- at the same time I hate them.
I was awarded a local gallery space for a year.
I will be printing 15-18 prints 44x64" per show, for 5 shows next year. I will be reusing frames, just changing prints. Easiest for me- I think.
I have clamshell storage boxes for smaller prints- but I can't find larger ones??
I guess I could store these prints rolled, but a flat box would be much easier for transport and storage.
Uline has large flat art shipping boxes- a little more industrial looking than I was hoping for, but they would work.
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.
gary
-
Hi, my instinct is to sell them to save on storage haha ;)
That size is def a challenge tho. I've seen various large-format storage / transport artwork portfolio "folders" (not boxes), some kraft cardboard/paper-based and some poly, scattered around the web but I don't think I've seen anything that large. And ofc archival properties vary widely if that's a concern. Also the much more expensive fabric-based portfolio "bags" but again that size...
When I down-sized my home my steel flatfile storage cabinet was on the chopping block. After looking at all the storage options (folders/hangers/boxes/tubes/etc) and where I would store *those*, I decide the flatfile cabinet really was the most space-efficient thing (because it doubles as a work surface) so I made it fit. It comfortably holds 36x48 inch sizes with room to spare. But a cabinet that could do 64"+ would be truly massive. And ofc it's not portable lol, all-up weight 400 lbs *empty*.
I feel like if none of the large artwork folders or slim boxes are suitable, rolling might be your only option. Anything from regular paper-based tubes to the large-diameter poly transport tubes (some of which are expandable/telescoping). The latter were a competing option to my flatfile cabinet (but a rolled stack of paper prints is so annoyinggg...).
-
Thanks Kyle.
I have 11feet of 37x25" cabinets. Most of my prints are on 24x36" paper. I have hundreds of prints in these cabinets.
A 44x64" cabinet would be huge.
I am looking around at shipping boxes.
The prints I have stored rolled- even some famous photographers- sit there. I never look at them.
I love large prints, although sometimes I hate them.
Hopefully I can sell some of them
thanks again
gary
-
My inclination would be to make a bunch of "folders" out of foamcore and store the prints flat and vertical. Could put a few prints in each folder with a few sheets of glassine between them. Stored flat would make it easier to swap them into frames. I have a few 45"x68" folders that I use to transport 44"x64" prints (40"x60" image with 2" paper margin) from studio to gallery/framer. 45" is the max width that will fit into the back of my Subaru Outback. Otherwise I would just use the full 48" width of the foamcore sheet.
I think the best plan would be to sell all the prints so that you don't have to store them ;-).
-
My inclination would be to make a bunch of "folders" out of foamcore and store the prints flat and vertical.
Best idea I have seen so far- thanks.
Hopefully a couple sell- but plan for the worst.
Thanks!
gary
-
The foamboard is a great idea. I was trying to think of a readily available material to make folders that large and forgot about the oversize foamcore boards.