Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: madmanchan on January 30, 2007, 05:20:37 pm

Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: madmanchan on January 30, 2007, 05:20:37 pm
Saw this over at RobGalbraith's site:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-8735-8809 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8735-8809)

It looks like 17x22 sheets for Epson Premium Glossy, Epson Velvet Fine Art, and Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster are becoming available. Could be useful for those of you who use printers that accept 17" wide cut sheets, such as the Epson 3800 and Epson 4800.

Just FYI.
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: Stephen Best on January 30, 2007, 05:34:27 pm
Quote
It looks like 17x22 sheets for Epson Premium Glossy, Epson Velvet Fine Art, and Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster are becoming available.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98379\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The larger VFA is definitely welcome, but I shudder to think how much Epson wants for this.

I'm not sure how they can use terms like "Ultra Premium" when it's something made from plastic though. Kinda like a Gourmet Big Mac.
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: madmanchan on January 30, 2007, 06:21:56 pm
Quote
The larger VFA is definitely welcome, but I shudder to think how much Epson wants for this.

Not sure yet, but I can guess. Atlex sells 13x19 Ultrasmooth Fine Art for 3.54/sh and 13x19 VFA for 2.64/sh. They also sell 17x22 UFA for 5.32/sh. So I'm guessing VFA at 17x22 will be about $4/sh.

Quote
I'm not sure how they can use terms like "Ultra Premium" when it's something made from plastic though. Kinda like a Gourmet Big Mac.

Hehe, just a name. But it appears they've also improved the coating for a higher d-max (and probably wider gamut).

I do think it's interesting how some people recoil from the idea of printing on RC papers like Premium Luster while for others (including many well-respected fine art photographers) it's their bread-and-butter paper. Personal preference, I guess.

Eric
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: Stephen Best on January 30, 2007, 06:29:09 pm
Quote
Not sure yet, but I can guess. Atlex sells 13x19 Ultrasmooth Fine Art for 3.54/sh and 13x19 VFA for 2.64/sh. They also sell 17x22 UFA for 5.32/sh. So I'm guessing VFA at 17x22 will be about $4/sh.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe it's just Epson Australia. The cheapest I've seen VFA 13x19 is about AUD $6 a sheet.
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: Nill Toulme on January 30, 2007, 06:56:26 pm
Hmmm... I wonder if Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster is just the "250" roll version of Premium Luster.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: madmanchan on January 30, 2007, 07:05:43 pm
Quote
Hmmm... I wonder if Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster is just the "250" roll version of Premium Luster.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=98397\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No. Epson's former provider for Premium Luster left the paper business, so Epson turned to a new mill and in the process changed the name. I believe the new one is 260 gsm.

Eric
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: matt4626 on February 05, 2007, 03:39:49 pm
I guess this means new profiles will be needed for the Ultra Premium Luster. I just started using Image Print last week, how soon do they normally take to add new papers?
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: nik on February 27, 2008, 10:46:54 am
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my issue, I pruchased some of the 'new' Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster (product code S042084) for my 4800 but I can't seem to find a decent ICC profile for it. Do I just use the older one for the 7600/9600? On Epson's site, the MAC download for this ICC extracts a .HQX archive file to a .SEA file which will not extract on my IntelMac.

I even tried downloading the PC version in hopes of being able to extract it (if it were a zip) but it's in .exe format.

If anyone has this correct ICC profile, please, put me out of my misery and send it to me via PM or direct email (on my profile page).


Thank You.

-Nik
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: Peter McLennan on February 29, 2008, 12:00:53 am
Inkjetart sells matte 17X22 for just over a dollar a sheet.  I've used tons of it and love it.  They also sell 17X25, which fits my D200 format nearly perfectly.
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: madmanchan on March 01, 2008, 01:31:21 pm
You can try downloading the Windows profiles which should be in a .zip format which you ought to be able to decompress fine.

And the ICC profiles are cross-platform so whatever you get out of the Windows .zip file should work fine on your Mac.
Title: More Epson 17x22 sheets
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 01, 2008, 03:39:27 pm
I bought the sample packs of paper from Inkjetart, and was able to test various brands and weights. It's cool to look at the same image printed on ten or twelve different papers and compare.

Their house-brand Lustre is very nice, and about half the price of the Epson brand -- 50 sheets for $85 in the 17x25-inch size. I liked another brand of Matte paper, but of course now I don't recall which. (I do have it written down somewhere.)